• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Westinghouse 40"-1 loose cap, fixed
    Westinghouse 26"-bad transformer, fixed
    Polaroid 32"-work in progress
    Custom computer-Q-6600,2 8800gtx, 6gb gskill ddr-2 800, 750watt thermaltake, Cooler master case, 74g raptor- MB DOA, reflow MB in my oven, fixed
    America-well we used to fix our own stuff, now we just buy new...

Comment

Originally posted by smoothcriminal69 View Post
      Westinghouse 40"-1 loose cap, fixed
      Westinghouse 26"-bad transformer, fixed
      Polaroid 32"-work in progress
      Custom computer-Q-6600,2 8800gtx, 6gb gskill ddr-2 800, 750watt thermaltake, Cooler master case, 74g raptor- MB DOA, reflow MB in my oven, fixed
      the whole Motherboard? did you took the caps out?
      Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
        the whole Motherboard? did you took the caps out?
        Nope 350 for 8 minutes, covered the ports with foil and let her rip...If you have repaired one that still doesnt work or have a gpu that died, and is gone anyhow try it sometime.
        Last edited by smoothcriminal69; 06-06-2014, 04:50 AM.
        America-well we used to fix our own stuff, now we just buy new...

Comment

I do but these „repairs“ can last half a day so I am not wasting time for useless crap. If it is worth, will send it for reball to a guy with resoldering station, the rest goes for gold scraping.
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with trying the oven bake routine. If the board is useless anyway and you can't afford or don't want to pay to get a proper re-balling done (which also have a failure rate to consider) I see no harm done. I wouldn't bake a board for a friend or for a repair job, but some old thing of mine why the heck not? It would be smart to take out the caps first though. They aren't going to like 350f. I wouldn't expect miracles but what is it going to hurt? I suppose it could still be scrapped for gold afterwards anyway.

Comment

I have loads of components here. What would be a board with 0% reliability (it can go bad pretty much any second without warning) good for? My time begins to have higher value than most of the things here, loosing time for making a PC from such board when it can go bad any time, which could also mean loosing some work with it, it is too expensive. Canť afford that.

It can be good for you if you have lot of time and nothing to do with it. I have no time and too much work to do.
              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
              Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Well, it is circumstance specific is what I mean. Of course you're right and it is not a professional way at all but I can see a hobbyist trying it to see what happens and how long it lasts. I haven't done that myself but I have considered pre-heating a board in the oven and using a heat gun to reflow a GPU.

Comment

This guy bought 2 pallets of old NASA space shuttle test equipment for $10:

http://imgur.com/a/YflPy

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
                    Well, it is circumstance specific is what I mean. Of course you're right and it is not a professional way at all but I can see a hobbyist trying it to see what happens and how long it lasts. I haven't done that myself but I have considered pre-heating a board in the oven and using a heat gun to reflow a GPU.
                    i think my first and my last oven bake with a actual motherboard(PC) ended up bulking all the caps.
                    i did use the oven with a video and a notebook motherboard that had caps on it and i took them off and it end up working

Comment

Originally posted by larrymoencurly View Post
                      This guy bought 2 pallets of old NASA space shuttle test equipment for $10:

http://imgur.com/a/YflPy
                      333,572 views omg! click more

Comment

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Scored:

-4x5 Wacom USB tablet (no pen ): $2
                        -HP dvd1040i PATA DVD RW + Lightscribe: $4 (yet to be tested).

The tablet is useless without the pen (which I didn't see at the thrift store where I found it)... but I figure it may come in handy at some point (or tradebait?). The DVD drive IIRC is actually somewhat rare (being PATA)... I have a similar drive already but at $4, why not?
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                          Scored:

The tablet is useless without the pen (which I didn't see at the thrift store where I found it)... but I figure it may come in handy at some point (or tradebait?). The DVD drive IIRC is actually somewhat rare (being PATA)... I have a similar drive already but at $4, why not?
                          Because those $6 could be put towards something useful?

lol. You asked

How specific does then pen have to be? I might actually have one sitting around or find one at work you can have for price of shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                            Because those $6 could be put towards something useful?

lol. You asked

How specific does then pen have to be? I might actually have one sitting around or find one at work you can have for price of shipping.
                            You tell me, All I knew was wacom tablets didn't exactly grow on trees. Haven't had a chance to look it up.
                            sigpic

Comment

test them - use a stylus from a DS or something.
                              do they even ID on the usb bus, or are they dead - worth checking.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                Scored:

Your pen is probably one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Bamboo-E...eywords=ep-155, that'll run you about $40.

Compatability table: http://www.wacom-asia.com/aptky/607/pen.htm

They fail & go flaky, that's probably why the tablet went to the thrift store.

That's for the 4 x 5 ET-0405-U. It came with a mouse too.

C152Heavy
                                Last edited by C152Heavy; 06-14-2014, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Recently bought an EVGA Super Nova NEX750B 750W semi-modular 80 Plus Bronze supply on eBay that was advertised as "For parts/as is" with details "Does not power up". Got it for $20 free shipping, figured if I can't fix it, should be some good parts inside...

Was expecting anything from an abused supply with signs of heat stroke, to lighting strike, scorched earth but what I received was a BRAND NEW, not a speck of dust inside, fresh smell power supply. Tried to power it up, and sure enough it wouldn't power on... However the fan would spin for a brief period which told me it was a secondary fault NOT a primary which is the better case repair wise...

Looked over the board for 30 minutes until I noticed a peculiarity when continuity testing with the Multimeter... This PSUs design has four pseudo separate +12V rails at 20A each, but they don't have their own transformer tap, they all originate from one large 12V power plane right after the main filter choke, and they all share the same initial filter capacitors... It's from this single 12V plane that a four-way PI filter branches out to four separate 12V rails, and I noticed that in one plane when I checked for continuity between the larger origin plane and the smaller satellite planes that one of them did not ring on the meter suggesting > 40 ohms or essentially open circuit, which is odd because on the other side there is clearly a high amperage vertical inductor bridging the two like the three other planes... Then I noticed I would get continuity if I touched the leg of the inductor, but not on the pad! Looking closer I noticed the entire solder joint was pushed out, and after a re-flow with an iron and some extra solder to boot, the supply powered right back up.

Turns out the UVP (Under Voltage Protection) was shutting down the unit because one of the 12V rails was down.

Got a decent, brand new supply for $20... Not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Doom2pro View Post
                                    Recently bought an EVGA Super Nova NEX750B 750W semi-modular 80 Plus Bronze supply on eBay that was advertised as "For parts/as is" with details "Does not power up". Got it for $20 free shipping, figured if I can't fix it, should be some good parts inside...

Was expecting anything from an abused supply with signs of heat stroke, to lighting strike, scorched earth but what I received was a BRAND NEW, not a speck of dust inside, fresh smell power supply. Tried to power it up, and sure enough it wouldn't power on... However the fan would spin for a brief period which told me it was a secondary fault NOT a primary which is the better case repair wise...

Looked over the board for 30 minutes until I noticed a peculiarity when continuity testing with the Multimeter... This PSUs design has four pseudo separate +12V rails at 20A each, but they don't have their own transformer tap, they all originate from one large 12V power plane right after the main filter choke, and they all share the same initial filter capacitors... It's from this single 12V plane that a four-way PI filter branches out to four separate 12V rails, and I noticed that in one plane when I checked for continuity between the larger origin plane and the smaller satellite planes that one of them did not ring on the meter suggesting > 40 ohms or essentially open circuit, which is odd because on the other side there is clearly a high amperage vertical inductor bridging the two like the three other planes... Then I noticed I would get continuity if I touched the leg of the inductor, but not on the pad! Looking closer I noticed the entire solder joint was pushed out, and after a re-flow with an iron and some extra solder to boot, the supply powered right back up.

Turns out the UVP (Under Voltage Protection) was shutting down the unit because one of the 12V rails was down.

Got a decent, brand new supply for $20... Not bad.
                                    Nice score!

That's pretty nice actually... I need to look at ebay more apparently.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Recently:
                                      Velodyne VX10B sub. Dog ate the power cord end and apparently $3 and 2 minutes was too much effort for the people who I got it from.

Compaq Prolinea 4/25s. Upgraded with a 75 MHz DX4 Overdrive processor, 20 megs of ram and a Quad CD changer.

What I thought was an IBM AT, turns out to have had the motherboard swapped in the early 90s. Motherboard in it was dead as well from battery corrosion damage, a common killer of old hardware.

Dell System 310. Has the stock motherboard, disk controller, video card and floppy drives. Someone added a 124 meg hard drive and upgraded it to 8 megs of ram over time. With the exception of the 4.5V battery brick being dead and the hard drive having a lot of failing sectors it powered on without any real issues.

Sony STR-DA5300ES Home Theatre Receiver. Got this off someone I know with the Dell, a Mac LC (with a bad PSU) and Garrard Zero 100C turnable all for $10. Works fine, no issues except no remote.

Comment

Samsung 42" plasma . dry joints on trannies .all fixed. ( free to repair)
                                        LG 42" plasma . 9 blown caps plus xsus board ( parts 15 quid ebay )
                                        E systems dual core 17" lappie ( complete including psu . needed reload)
                                        2X 32" lcd samsungs . ( blown caps and one fully working )
                                        All free dump finds.
                                        Happy chappie

Comment

building up a collection of tv schematics on pdf . PM me and I will see if I can help. alternatively recommend a thread where users can upload if theres not one already.

Comment

Working...
                                          X