Westinghouse L2410NM 24" LCD power goes on and off, blue light flickers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westinghouse L2410NM 24" LCD power goes on and off, blue light flickers

I have a 2 year old Westinghouse 24" screen, i'm hoping to salvage and avoid paying $300 or more for a replacement which probably wont near the quality and resolution at 1920x1200 (mva)..

For some reason when i turn it on now.. the blue light at the bottom will come on, then go out and flicker essentially.. you can hear buzzing as it tries to get power.. the screen never does come on to show an image though during any of this..

I'm not sure what to look for if i open it up.. i'm guessing maybe the power supply board is bad ($50 on ebay).. or perhaps something simpler.. i have a voltmeter i could use to test it.. i have some minor experience in soldering as well.. but not much in the way of things like capacitors and fuses etc..

Any thoughts as to what it might be..?

Thanks
    Tech, the Universe, and Everything: http://tech-stew.com

Re: Westinghouse L2410NM 24" LCD power goes on and off, blue light flickers

Originally posted by markm75 View Post
    Any thoughts as to what it might be..?
    Start by posting clear focused pictures of all your boards (top down view - both sides) after reading

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      Start by posting clear focused pictures of all your boards (top down view - both sides) after reading

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868

I was going to, then upon looking at the power supply board I noticed one of the caps is bulging.. fortunately my work location has some people to help out so we are replacing that cap and going to try again..

The power supply board was making a high pitched humming sound before.. hopefully this is the ticket.. I might also just replace the whole board if this doesnt fix it.. or post some pictures if all else fails.

Comment

I was going to, then upon looking at the power supply board I noticed one of the caps is bulging..

The power supply board was making a high pitched humming sound before... I might also just replace the whole board if this doesnt fix it.. or post some pictures if all else fails.
        That could be the bulged cap venting making that high pitched sound.

Don't buy another board if replacing the cap doesn't work until others here get a chance to help.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

fortunately my work location has some people to help out so we are replacing that cap and going to try again..
          I forgot to add that you should NOT run out to Radio Shack and get a replacement capacitor. The capacitors sold there are general purpose use and not suitable for these type of applications.

A list of suitable capacitors can be found at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

Edit: Good luck on the repair and report back.
          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi,

I'm brand new to the forum but this post is describing exactly the problem I have, with the same model monitor. To the OP, I hope you don't mind me adding my problem to this thread!

Yesterday, I discovered a bad outlet in another room and today I flipped the circuit breaker off to get ready to replace it. It turns out the breaker was labeled wrong and flipped the power to my office off instead. When I turned it back on, the monitor would not come back on. When I plugged it in, it would just buzz (quiet, high-pitched), then the power light would flicker and the screen flashed and then nothing.

This is a 2 year old monitor that I purchased from my last company when I left a few months ago. Since a comparable monitor would cost me nearly $400 to replace, and since the symptoms sounded like a power supply and not screen problem, I really didn't have a choice so I started the task of opening it.

I am a total circuit board noob (aside from soldering a few things here and there like an xbox mod chip), so I didn't see anything wrong with the power supply until I read this thread. Now I notice that one of the capacitors is indeed bulging and slightly leaking.

Should I do as the OP and try to replace this capacitor and see if that works? Or just search for a replacement power supply? I've posted other pictures of the components for reference. Any help is sincerely appreciated!
            Attached Files

Comment

The design of that board kinda sucks from a technicians point of view. You got to remove the heatsink to get to that cap. Once you get to it, I would change all of them on that side of the board. Not really saving any money by changing one. Remove all doubt and change em all. They should cost you about $5.00 US. Have fun with it and take your time.
              The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

You definitely have a bad cap there. It's hard to tell from the photo, but if there's enough headroom between the top of the cap and the heatsink, you may be able to "wiggle" them out using some long nose pliers. Make sure you use solder wick to soak up all the solder holding the cap to the circuit board before you attempt this. Replace ALL the caps as you only want to do this once. And yes, I agree it is a terrible design!
                Last edited by jetadm123; 09-01-2010, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Renesis13 View Post
                  Now I notice that one of the capacitors is indeed bulging and slightly leaking.

Should I do as the OP and try to replace this capacitor and see if that works?
                  Like everyone has said, replace them all. All the caps in the sink heat area are subjected to a lot of heat from the 3 transistors/FETS. Heat kills caps.

Follow PlainBill's instructions on how to order caps at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...33&postcount=2

Pay attention to the correct size comments. You don't have a lot of room in the heat sink area.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                    You definitely have a bad cap there. It's hard to tell from the photo, but if there's enough headroom between the top of the cap and the heatsink, you may be able to "wiggle" them out using some long nose pliers. Make sure you use solder wick to soak up all the solder holding the cap to the circuit board before you attempt this. Replace ALL the caps as you only want to do this once. And yes, I agree it is a terrible design!
                    Oops! I forgot to mention that you can probably leave the big cap (the one lying on it's side) alone, since these rarely fail.

Comment

Yeah, thats what i did, well, i had help, i probably could have replaced them, but at my business we have guys that do this stuff all the time.. so he bent the one fin back and removed the bulging cap and replaced it, also replaced a few others to be safe too, as mentioned.

I could have replaced the board for $50, instead, in my case, it was free..

However, once i did this, the unit wouldnt power the screen.. so i tested with the ohm meter on the inverter board.. found that volts werent getting through the whole board..

So online i found the inverter board for $35 shipped, with coupon code.. replaced it, now everything works..

Total cost in my case.. $35

Better than $300-$450 for a new one/diff one

Comment

However, once i did this, the unit wouldnt power the screen.. so i tested with the ohm meter on the inverter board.. found that volts werent getting through the whole board..
                        If you have the non working inverter board, it would be interesting to see if you have any blown fuses or shorted transistors on it.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Cool, thanks for the help. I will see if I can disassemble the heat sink tonight and try to remove the caps. Will I need to do anything special (like on a processor) for reinstalling the heat sink?

markm75 - Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the inverter board? I did a google search but couldn't figure out what in my specific monitor the inverter board is (but I'm guessing it is the tall boar on the right?) Where did you find this replacement part once you discovered it was bad?

Comment

Will I need to do anything special (like on a processor) for reinstalling the heat sink?
                            Possibly. The transistors may need some artic silver or similar type of compound. I believe in this video Maxxarcade (who is a member here)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Maxxarca.../2/SoL1k8Jk_Z8

talks about a special compound for mounting audio transistors.

markm75 - Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the inverter board? I did a google search but couldn't figure out what in my specific monitor the inverter board is (but I'm guessing it is the tall boar on the right?)
                            Yes, it is the tall board.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Alright, I have some new pictures and I'd like to know how screwed I am.

First of all, I took a closer look at the heat sink, and it looks like there is no way to completely detach it from the transistors before removing the transistors from the board, since one of the screws goes all the way through two of them and is butted up right next to a cap under the heat sink.

I'm pretty sure removing all of those transistors and correctly reinstalling them would be beyond my ability.

Secondly, I'm worried about the cap on this other board, it looks like it's slightly bulging (but I haven't had problems with this monitor prior to this power problem).

Attached Files

Comment

Alright, I have some new pictures and I'd like to know how screwed I am.
                                BTW, please don't put inline pictures into the text. We can click on what we want to see in a bigger image.

First of all, I took a closer look at the heat sink, and it looks like there is no way to completely detach it from the transistors before removing the transistors from the board, since one of the screws goes all the way through two of them and is butted up right next to a cap under the heat sink.
                                Hmm, if no one else has ideas, I guess you can try and bend/pry just enough of the heat sink back to replace one bad cap and leave the others alone?

Secondly, I'm worried about the cap on this other board, it looks like it's slightly bulging (but I haven't had problems with this monitor prior to this power problem).
                                Yes, those are bloated and bad too. They are Capxon KF series made in 2007 week 11 (C711 code).
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'm pretty sure removing all of those transistors and correctly reinstalling them would be beyond my ability.
                                  Do you have any friends good at electronics and soldering? If yes, offer a 6 pack in exchange for soldering.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

BTW, please don't put inline pictures into the text. We can click on what we want to see in a bigger image.
                                    Sorry, I thought it was suggested in the image posting tutorial you linked to? (for referring to specific pictures)

Yes, those are bloated and bad too. They are Capxon KF series made in 2007 week 11 (C711 code).
                                    At least they will be easier to replace. Can you tell me what "bad" might mean in this case, assuming this damage was not recent (and the monitor was working fine before)?

Thanks again for your quick responses.

Comment

Sorry, I thought it was suggested in the image posting tutorial you linked to? (for referring to specific pictures)
                                      Inline is optional, but not preferred. It slows down the loading of a page while huge images are loaded.

At least they will be easier to replace. Can you tell me what "bad" might mean in this case, assuming this damage was not recent (and the monitor was working fine before)?
                                      Bad meaning that these 2 capacitors are malfunctioning which makes the other components work harder. When they work harder they are bound to fail.

Think of it this way. You have a brake on each wheel of the car. Now imagine 2 of them not working properly (bad). Your car will still stop, but the other 2 have to work so much harder. Not to mention the other extra unneeded stress on your joints, structure, etc. With this extra stress, these components will fail sooner than necessary.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

replace those 2 small ones too- defintiely

Comment

Working...
                                        X