Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA - Screen goes black when smarthub is plugged into TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA - Screen goes black when smarthub is plugged into TV

I have a Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA TV. It is about 5 yrs old. This is a model where the main input to the TV is a proprietary cord connected to a "one connect mini" hub. This one connect mini has a variety of inputs including the various HDMI inputs.

With the cord from the "one connect mini" NOT plugged into the TV, I can get the TV to connect wirelessly to our router and from there I can stream shows. The picture and sound are normal.

The moment that I plug the one connect mini cord into the back of the TV, the screen goes black and I get a periodic clicking that occurs. In addition, the red power light on the bottom of the TV also blinks.

It would seem likely that the one connect mini is broken but why would the TV go through this clicking and red light blinking if the problem is in the one connect mini?

Can anyone offer any ideas for what is wrong and how to fix it? Is there anyway to bypass the one connect mini and get the TV to connect to my normal cable TV service?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

G'day,

Vinish
    Last edited by Vinish; 10-23-2020, 03:21 PM.

Re: Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA - Screen goes black when smarthub is plugged into TV

Looks like some short in oneconnect box

Comment

But the clicking is coming from inside the TV not from inside the one connect mini. Does that mean the one connect mini could still be the problem?

Comment

looks like its shorted and the tv doesnt like it and tries to shutdown ... don't plug it again as it might damage the tv

Comment

Re: Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA - Screen goes black when one connect mini is plugged into

Originally posted by Vinish View Post
          Can anyone offer any ideas for what is wrong and how to fix it? Is there anyway to bypass the one connect mini and get the TV to connect to my normal cable TV service?
          streaming media based on firmware (RVU)
          tv cable sat. mini connect based on Hardware. any defect at hardware the tv goes to protect mode.
          in short words mini connect about half hardware which supposed to be on the main boards.. but they took it out to let you install the tv on wall and the other connection you use such USB HDMI cable.. will be easily to use.. but at end i find this is rubbish idea as you are now not the only one got defect mini connect. it is sammy policy to sell parts.

Comment

Thanks much for the rapid feedback. If I buy a new mini connect, would it be likely that the TV would work normally again? New, they are an outrageous $125 to $140. They have some "open box" versions on Ebay for $30-$45 and some used ones also.

Comment

30 to 45 isn't all that bad or maybe you can repair yours.

Comment

Repairing my one connect mini would be awesome. Any ideas on what to look for? I just opened it. There is one circuit board to which are attached 8 ports and lots of small circuitry. Not even a single big capacitor to look at to see if it is blown I would have no idea where to even look for a problem.

Comment

Usually the problem is the invisible cable wire or overheating, a lot of them are crammed with components and have very little ventilation.

Comment

Repairing my one connect mini would be awesome. Any ideas on what to look for? I just opened it. There is one circuit board to which are attached 8 ports and lots of small circuitry. Not even a single big capacitor to look at to see if it is blown I would have no idea where to even look for a problem.
                    Did you try using it with the lid off? one way to check for a possible overheating issue.

Comment

The last one connect box on here had a visibly damaged HDMI ic, look near the ports.

Comment

I just remembered another experiment that I conducted. There is a proprietary cable which connects the One Connect Mini to the back of the TV. With the TV working properly in wireless mode (i.e. displaying the picture and sound from an Amazon Prime show), I detached this cable from the One Connect Mini and plugged it into the TV. To be clear - one end of the cable was plugged into the TV and the other end of the cable was connected to nothing. The TV display instantly went black and the periodic clicking and red light blinking that I previously described started occurring in the TV.

Doesn't this indicate that the fault is in the TV and not in the One Connect Mini?

Comment

nomoresonys, what is an "invisible cable wire"?

Comment

Could be in the TV or a short in the cable itself.

I just remembered another experiment that I conducted. There is a proprietary cable which connects the One Connect Mini to the back of the TV. With the TV working properly in wireless mode (i.e. displaying the picture and sound from an Amazon Prime show), I detached this cable from the One Connect Mini and plugged it into the TV. To be clear - one end of the cable was plugged into the TV and the other end of the cable was connected to nothing. The TV display instantly went black and the periodic clicking and red light blinking that I previously described started occurring in the TV.

Doesn't this indicate that the fault is in the TV and not in the One Connect Mini?

Comment

nomoresonys, what is an "invisible cable wire"?
                              It's just the flimsy cable from tv to one connect, they tried to make it look like it isn't there, probably why it goes bad often, you might not have the same on yours tho.

Comment

The wire on mine is quite substantial. It is about the same thickness as a normal HDMI cable - just slightly thinner than coaxial cable.

Comment

Ok, maybe check all the components of the one connect board that you can with your meter.

Comment

Dang,

Not sure how to check very many of these components. See the circuit board in the attached picture.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

It could still be the One Connect box. When the One Connect box is attached, it detects a fault in the box and proceeds to power cycle. When the One Connect cable is plugged into the TV with no One Connect box, it may react as if the One Connect box has a fault and also proceeds to power cycle. When no One Connect cable is attached, it does not call that a fault and continue to run. So you see the same reaction by the firmware, but for different reasons. So you can't rule out the One Connect box. It might be the box, the cable, or the mainboard.

This is how I got fooled into thinking that I had a mainboard issue when it was a problem on the panel. When I had the ribbon cables disconnected to the panel, the TV went into the power up loop, which was the same symptom it showed when it detected a real problem with the panel when it was connected.
                                      Last edited by SoftwareHack; 10-25-2020, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Software hack,
                                        Did you get your problem solved? If so, what did you do. I'm having the same issue with a Samsung. I bought a new mini connect box and cable and it did not resolve the problem. Do I need to replace the main board?

Comment

Working...
                                        X