Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

55" TCL 55us57-wtlaa TV - No picture, backlight/sound work, T-Con board was replaced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

55" TCL 55us57-wtlaa TV - No picture, backlight/sound work, T-Con board was replaced

Hello all, I was given a 55" 2017 TCL Roku TV that has an issue of no picture, but the backlights and audio are in full operation. I did some digging and narrowed it down to a possibly bad T-Con board, I replaced it today with a unit I got off of Ebay but the issue is still there. I'm not good with electronic testing (multimeter, soldering, etc.) so I would appreciate any insight on the likely cause. Screen appears undamaged and the remote can still switch around settings (I've tried a hard reset). I assume it could be the video or power boards, but I also had a theory on it being the ribbon cables to the T-Con, as my replacement board came without new ones. The capacitors and other components look fine, not sure where the fault is. I planned on fixing it and giving it to my sister, but now I'm stuck with a TV that I already sunk $24 into, so now I have to fix it. I know TCL's are notorious for issues, being mass manufactured in China for Walmart sales, but I don't want to sink much more money into this project if its just not worth it. This is the second TV I've tried to repair, but failed. What are your thoughts or opinions on this? I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks!

Model #: 55us57-wtlaa

T-Con #: ST5461D04-1-C-7

Re: 55" TCL TV - No picture, backlight/sound work, T-Con board was replaced

Oops, I didn't think to include the model # in the title, can't edit it in but I do have it included in the post itself...sorry about that.

Comment

Could possibly be the replacement T-Con is bad. Did you get it from a reliable source like ShopJimmy? EDIT/ADD I just read you got it from freebay. The T-Con could be bad, especially if it came from a broken screen TV.
      Last edited by DXseekerMO; 09-10-2021, 01:59 PM.
      They call me......."threadkiller"

Comment

Originally posted by DXseekerMO View Post
        Could possibly be the replacement T-Con is bad. Did you get it from a reliable source like ShopJimmy? EDIT/ADD I just read you got it from freebay. The T-Con could be bad, especially if it came from a broken screen TV.
        That was my initial fear when ordering the board, I got it on ebay because it was cheaper, and the seller had a great feedback score. I checked shopjimmy but the price was too much for shipping. I still might be able to return it, but will be charged the shipping fees. I may just buy a full repair kit from shopjimmy and hope it works out...any other possible causes here? Or is the issue too vague to determine without actual testing?

Comment

Re: 55" TCL 55us57-wtlaa TV - No picture, backlight/sound work, T-Con board was repla

Power up the tv with only one side connected at a time between the tcon and panel. If one side displays an image, you have a fault on the bad side.

With backlight and no video, tcon is main suspect but if you've changed it, the panel is next suspect. If one side is good, you can try tape cutoff method or looking for shorted caps on the panel boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgj24 View Post
            That was my initial fear when ordering the board, I got it on ebay because it was cheaper, and the seller had a great feedback score. I checked shopjimmy but the price was too much for shipping. I still might be able to return it, but will be charged the shipping fees. I may just buy a full repair kit from shopjimmy and hope it works out...any other possible causes here? Or is the issue too vague to determine without actual testing?
            Fleabay gives you 30 days to start a return, so if in your testing you find out it is bad contact the seller, tell them the item is defective and that you want all of your money back, shipping included. If they don't agree then start an INAD (item not as described) return through feebay, for which they have to pay for shipping. You may want to start an INAD return then contact the seller.

If they have free returns they don't have to refund all of your shipping and only half the purchase price. In this case if the seller does not refund all your money and shipping then elevate the return through freebay and they should refund you everything with their satisfaction guarantee.

If they don't have free returns and you start an INAD return they have to refund your purchase price plus pay for your original and return shipping.

If the T-Con through shartbay is bad you're better off to pay ShopJimmy shipping then go through 2 or 3 fartbay boards to get one that works right.

As suggested by Neilc6, try unhooking 1 flat flex from the tcon at a time and power on the TV. If you get a picture on either half of the screen then there's a screen short and you'll need to check the capacitors on the source driver boards for shorts. This requires a multimeter to complete
            Last edited by DXseekerMO; 09-10-2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Re: 55" TCL 55us57-wtlaa TV - No picture, backlight/sound work, T-Con board was repla

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
              Power up the tv with only one side connected at a time between the tcon and panel. If one side displays an image, you have a fault on the bad side.

With backlight and no video, tcon is main suspect but if you've changed it, the panel is next suspect. If one side is good, you can try tape cutoff method or looking for shorted caps on the panel boards.
              WOW, thanks! I unplugged the cable on the right side and nothing happened, then I tried the left side and boom, half the screen had picture. So this is a T-Con board issue then correct? I'm not familiar with most methods so I'd appreciate a simplified version lol. If this is the issue I will return the board to eBay asap. If all I need is a new tcon I will get it from a reputable source this time

Comment

WOW, thanks! I unplugged the cable on the right side and nothing happened, then I tried the left side and boom, half the screen had picture. So this is a T-Con board issue then correct? I'm not familiar with most methods so I'd appreciate a simplified version lol. If this is the issue I will return the board to eBay asap. If all I need is a new tcon I will get it from a reputable source this time

This is a screen short issue on the side opposite the one that works. Time to test that source driver board for shorted components.

Comment

As suggested by Neilc6, try unhooking 1 flat flex from the tcon at a time and power on the TV. If you get a picture on either half of the screen then there's a screen short and you'll need to check the capacitors on the source driver boards for shorts. This requires a multimeter to complete
                  Source driver would be the main board right? I might as well keep this tcon as a backup instead of going through the hassle of returning it for that $24. You guys were right about the issue though, would a simple main board swap repair this TV?

Comment

Source driver would be the main board right? I might as well keep this tcon as a backup instead of going through the hassle of returning it for that $24. You guys were right about the issue though, would a simple main board swap repair this TV?
                    You do not need a Main Board.

The Source Driver Boards are the narrow boards attached to the bottom of the screen. The board that needs checked for shorted components is opposite the side you got a picture on. Please note:

You must be VERY CAREFUL with these boards and the flex cables bonded to it and the screen. If these flex cables (called a COF tab, or chip-on-flex tab) are damaged or pulled off the boards and/or screen the TV will be totaled. These are glued to the board and screen, and are not repairable.

Do you have a multimeter?

Comment

Tape cutoff method on bad side https://techhometravel.com/repair-of...lines-on-a-tv/

Comment

You do not need a Main Board.

The Source Driver Boards are the narrow boards attached to the bottom of the screen. The board that needs checked for shorted components is opposite the side you got a picture on. Please note:

You must be VERY CAREFUL with these boards and the flex cables bonded to it and the screen. If these flex cables (called a COF tab, or chip-on-flex tab) are damaged or pulled off the boards and/or screen the TV will be totaled. These are glued to the board and screen, and are not repairable.

Do you have a multimeter?
                        So this will require manual electrical work to the driver board? I have a cheap basic multimeter, but at this point I'll go online and learn how to measure voltage, etc..it's a very new thing to me and I don't want to screw it up. From basic research I assumed this would be a basic board swap, but its clearly not that simple. I'm not sure if I'm quite ready to do any soldering at a component level yet so I may call up a reputable repair company here in Cleveland and get an estimate. I really appreciate all your replies and help that you gave me

Comment

Would you start off from one side and keep moving with the tape? There are no physical signs of damage on the connector, would a new ribbon cable possibly help?

Comment

You have a bad panel and you are blocking signals to the bad side. Start on the outer pins of the bad side.

Comment

So this will require manual electrical work to the driver board? I have a cheap basic multimeter, but at this point I'll go online and learn how to measure voltage, etc..it's a very new thing to me and I don't want to screw it up. From basic research I assumed this would be a basic board swap, but its clearly not that simple. I'm not sure if I'm quite ready to do any soldering at a component level yet so I may call up a reputable repair company here in Cleveland and get an estimate. I really appreciate all your replies and help that you gave me
                              You have a bad panel and you are blocking signals to the bad side. Start on the outer pins of the bad side.
                              Neilc6, Do you know if this screen has side drive tabs? If so maybe he should check each chip on the side drives to see if any of them overheated?

You're welcome Sgj24! If you aren't comfortable using a soldering iron or testing/soldering/de-soldering components from a board then proceed with the advice of neilc6. It's very simple.

Apply the tape to the gold terminals on the flat flex cable (FFC) on the t-con side. Start at the outboard side. Cut the tape to fit the gold terminals only. What I do is start by covering 7 terminals, reattach the FFC to the T-Con, power on the TV and see if a picture comes up on the suspect side. If it does then I uncover 1 gold terminal at a time and re-check. When the picture goes away or becomes distorted just re-cover the last terminal you uncovered and you should be good to go.

If you're still unsure how to do it then post a picture of the FFC and we will try to advise you from there.

Comment

Neilc6, Do you know if this screen has side drive tabs? If so maybe he should check each chip on the side drives to see if any of them overheated?

Apply the tape to the gold terminals on the flat flex cable (FFC) on the t-con side. Start at the outboard side. Cut the tape to fit the gold terminals only. What I do is start by covering 7 terminals, reattach the FFC to the T-Con, power on the TV and see if a picture comes up on the suspect side. If it does then I uncover 1 gold terminal at a time and re-check. When the picture goes away or becomes distorted just re-cover the last terminal you uncovered and you should be good to go.
                                Sorry for the late response, I'm not at all qualified to do component level board repair lol. I hoped this would be a simple fix, but it's probably a short in the driver board(s) as y'all stated...I attempted the tape method on the problem side and the other side, but it just gave me a split screen after a black screen. Thanks for the help folks, I'll try to figure out something to do with this tv. At least I learned something here, take care!

Comment

My TV has the same issues. Except when I unplugged the ribbon cables "one at a time" on the bottom side of t-con board there was no change. Do you think my t-con board is faulty? I did check the fuse on the t-con board and it was good along with 12vdc on fuse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank

Comment

Originally posted by shadetreetrader11 View Post
                                    My TV has the same issues. Except when I unplugged the ribbon cables "one at a time" on the bottom side of t-con board there was no change. Do you think my t-con board is faulty? I did check the fuse on the t-con board and it was good along with 12vdc on fuse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank
                                    Unplug the TV from the wall, detach one FFC from the T-CON, wait 5 minutes, plug the TV back in and re-test. You must unplug the TV so it resets from the fault before attempting to power it back on.

Comment

Fleabay gives you 30 days to start a return, so if in your testing you find out it is bad contact the seller, tell them the item is defective and that you want all of your money back, shipping included. If they don't agree then start an INAD (item not as described) return through feebay, for which they have to pay for shipping. You may want to start an INAD return then contact the seller.

If they have free returns they don't have to refund all of your shipping and only half the purchase price. In this case if the seller does not refund all your money and shipping then elevate the return through freebay and they should refund you everything with their satisfaction guarantee.

If they don't have free returns and you start an INAD return they have to refund your purchase price plus pay for your original and return shipping.

If the T-Con through shartbay is bad you're better off to pay ShopJimmy shipping then go through 2 or 3 fartbay boards to get one that works right.

This is why sellers on eBay have problem with buyers buying and then blaming sellers for bad parts when seller provided great service with shipping and sent perfectly working part. Now days its always bad part and not bad repair diagnosis. You never questioned bad diagnosis here in this post, just went right after seller that sent GOOD part.
                                      Last edited by gavric; 09-15-2021, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Ok I followed your instructions and I still have the backlights only. No split screen.

Comment

Working...
                                        X