PS4 ADP 240AR fat power supply BLOOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS4 ADP 240AR fat power supply BLOOD

Hi guys im new in this forum. I'm having trouble repairing a PS4 fat ADP 240AR power supply.

Checking I found several problems (the components that I changed I put it with red color) in the 5v sector and a burn power resistor which did not allow the activation of the 12v relay.

Once fixed, the power supply extends the 5v and 12 (when bridging standby and 5v) but when testing it on the console it turns on with blue light and then turns off (if I try to turn it on again the console does not turn on until I leave it disconnected for a while) I think they call these symptoms BLOOD. I used a 600w atx source and tested the ps4, it works fine, apparently the problem is in the original power source

I checked and I think the problem lies with some smd component. What would be the next step to follow?

I get schematic and a photo of the tracks on the board in other forum. It makes it easier for me to know where each signal is going, the thing is that I don't know how to continue (and i dont have oscilloscope ) .

I am going to post the modified schematic and some photos. Greatings

List mosfet / transistors / diode switching etc:
    FDPF035N06B (MOSFET) (Q102 Q101)
    K12A60U (MOSFET) (Q3 Q4)
    stf24n60m2 (MOSFET) (FB6)
    stps20h100c (SHOTTKY RECTIFIER) (D101)
    stth8r06 (RECTIFIER) (D11)

List of ic's:
    DNP015 (IC31) (PWM T1 5V) ()
    DNP012A (IC151) (5V ac standby?)
    DAS09 (MP6903) (IC101 and IC102) (PWM mosfet)
    DAS01A or DAS001 (TSM103AIDT) (IC42) (OP AMP before 12v DDA001AG ic)
    DDA001AG (IC32) (PWM T2 12V)
    NCP1608B (IC41) (PFC)
    DAS2 (IC61) (idk)

edit1: In the below view, the black thing its a 2ohm resistor tht, i dont have smd :P
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MokaEle; 11-10-2021, 08:50 PM.

Re: PS4 ADP 240AR fat power supply BLOOD

If it's R11 that's blown, check Q5 for shorts. If shorted, its driver IC also needs to be replaced, as well as R96, R98, R99 & D63.

Also check D11 for shorts. If it shorts while in operation, the next "on" cycle of Q5 dumps C1's charge into MOSFET Q5, destroying it.
    Check soldering on all pins of the boost inductor too.
    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
    Originally posted by shango066
    All style and no substance.
    Originally posted by smashstuff30
    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

I did not find shorts in that area. What does it mean to find shorts in operation? the short with respect to what should I measure? HV-?

Q5 I did not find a short G D S, D11 also does not have a short A-K, the diode measures 0.377 in circuit.

Take out the circuit T1 T2 L1 L2, in L1 and T2 I found marks, I am going to solder the cables just in case and I will try on the ps4.

I measured the resistance:

L1-> 5-3: 0.1 / 4-1: 0.1
      L2 -> 4-2: 0.1
      T1 -> A-B: 0.1 / 3-2: 0.7 / 4-1: 2.3
      T2 -> 1-3: 0.3 / 4-7: 0.1 / 5-6: 0.1

Do you recommend any type of load test? to see if I can locate if it fails the 5v or the 12 or both.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MokaEle View Post
        I did not find shorts in that area. What does it mean to find shorts in operation? the short with respect to what should I measure? HV-?

Q5 I did not find a short G D S, D11 also does not have a short A-K, the diode measures 0.377 in circuit.

Take out the circuit T1 T2 L1 L2, in L1 and T2 I found marks, I am going to solder the cables just in case and I will try on the ps4.

I measured the resistance:

L1-> 5-3: 0.1 / 4-1: 0.1
        L2 -> 4-2: 0.1
        T1 -> A-B: 0.1 / 3-2: 0.7 / 4-1: 2.3
        T2 -> 1-3: 0.3 / 4-7: 0.1 / 5-6: 0.1

Do you recommend any type of load test? to see if I can locate if it fails the 5v or the 12 or both.
        I solder it again L1 L2 T1 T2 and nothing

Comment

Okay you need to use a ring tester to test these switching transformer you can not use a ohm meter for this

If you suspect that it could be the switching power supply transformer it could be bad but it is rare but it does happen
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply
          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
            Okay you need to use a ring tester to test these switching transformer you can not use a ohm meter for this

If you suspect that it could be the switching power supply transformer it could be bad but it is rare but it does happen
            I did not know that tester, it is very useful! Then I'm going to put it together and test the transformers.

In the smd circuit, do you recommend that I look elsewhere? Because where you told me I did not find anything short or devalued, even though it may be that there is some component that is only short when there is power, it has already happened to me and it is difficult to detect.

Edit: I add the same pictures with more resolution

https://i.imgur.com/ej1zY61.jpg
            https://i.imgur.com/SWN84LO.jpg
            https://i.imgur.com/NJvw6Bt.jpg
            https://i.imgur.com/cQCbdGN.png
            Last edited by MokaEle; 11-14-2021, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I once got a lcd tv that the main fuse was blown I checked the resistance on the input side of the switching power supply and the reading was very low which prompt me to use the ring tester that I have and found that the main winding was shorted according to the ring tester

I also once had a switching power supply that also had blown the main fuse and I thought the issue was the switching transformer but after testing it with the ring tester it showed that it was good then I checked the switching power supply regulator and found that two of the ic chip was shorted

So yes the ring tester is very helpful tester I would highly recommend getting one if you repair switching power supply

One note you can also use a ring tester on step down transformer as well

I also have used this tester on a high voltage transformer to find an issue with a spark generator for gas torch on a machine along with an insulation tester to find that the pvc pipe had carbon track that ran from the top of the tube to the bottom of the tube a very difficult issue to resolve but both of these tools I was able to figure out was going wrong with it
              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 11-15-2021, 06:39 PM.
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
              10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
              6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
              1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
              25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
              6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply
              1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
              2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
              All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Hello,

I've stumbled across this thread because I'm trying to repair the same power supply.

in my case i have a blown Q5 mosfet. I also found that R98 and D63 are bad.
                I see that D63 have the "A6" marking, googling it i found it correspond to BAS316,115 diode. Could it be?
                I've read that i should check or replace the driver IC, do you know where is it in the board or the ic name?
                About R98, the original value is 50Ohms, right now I only have 47 or 62 Ohms smd resistor, are they still suitable or I must place the same resistor value?

Comment

Working...
                X