Component blow up, Asus GL704

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Component blow up, Asus GL704

From where you sourced the BIOS? In General it isn't a good Idea to Programm via the Clip except you made Sure the dump isn't corrupt after programming.

At least two or three oder bin's should be flashed and then Notice whether the behaviour Changes (even a little) or Not.
    FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Sephir0th View Post
      From where you sourced the BIOS? In General it isn't a good Idea to Programm via the Clip except you made Sure the dump isn't corrupt after programming.

At least two or three oder bin's should be flashed and then Notice whether the behaviour Changes (even a little) or Not.
      hi,

so i got the .bin from here in the forum it's 307 (the last version is 309).
      I used neoprogrammer as you suggested and the flash was successful ( as it was stated in the log)

so you suggest that I find an older bios and flash it?

Comment

please anyone any idea, Im stuck.

Comment

so, after some testing with multimeter I think I shorted something and now I have the step-down controller TPS51258a getting very hot when charger is plugged.

I will replace it when the chip arrive.

Comment

Hi,

I have also a laptop GL704GM that stopped working, it dont turn on, I removed the battery and plugged the charger still not power. No led on with or without the battery/charger.
            I have 19V in entry but after I'm lost... If someone could help me on how to diagnose the problem?

https://i.postimg.cc/NFJPtZ2W/IMG-20211009-000824.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/CMBPXMF4/IMG-20211009-003857.jpg

Thanks

Comment

hi again,
              so i changed that chip and i think as i was very bad on soldering it, something went bad when plugged the charger,
              now I have a short on the 5v rail, found a shorted mosfet, removing it didnt fixed the problem, still have 5v rail sorted,
              so I bought Powersupply and injected 1v and I have 0.3amps drain, but cant see anything hot,
              injected 3v the 5v rail drained 2amps I got a 1Ohm resistor going very hot

so i removed it, still the 5v rail drain same 2amps,
              searching for what is going hot found this

before injecting used rosin

after injecting

so its an RT8819a chip and a SOT-323 BAT54CW getting hot,

found similaire config in another laptop

as I dont trust my soldering skill, so I dont want to take any unnecessary risk on disordering those component.

can be that SOT going bad or its the chip, or both? isnt 2amps alot for the SOT? as its rated 0.2ampers in its datasheet.
              what advise you can give me to continue the diagnostics.
              Attached Files

Comment

any idea?

Comment

Hi. Need to check a few things before injecting any voltage onto the board. Can cause permanent damage if not followed carefully.

1) practice soldering on dead boards from AliExpress or eBay, etc.

2) source some good flux like Amtech but some clones can also work. We buy ours from AliExpress as the USA factory is useless.

3) a good hot air tool like Best station is what we have. It can be used for upto 550C and works well.

4) use meter in resistance mode and check for low resistance rails. If found, review for possible shorts. Voltage injection should be a last resort. The voltage for injection should always be low like 0v8 or 1v0 as long as the rail is actually higher than this value.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                    Hi. Need to check a few things before injecting any voltage onto the board. Can cause permanent damage if not followed carefully.

1) practice soldering on dead boards from AliExpress or eBay, etc.

2) source some good flux like Amtech but some clones can also work. We buy ours from AliExpress as the USA factory is useless.

3) a good hot air tool like Best station is what we have. It can be used for upto 550C and works well.

4) use meter in resistance mode and check for low resistance rails. If found, review for possible shorts. Voltage injection should be a last resort. The voltage for injection should always be low like 0v8 or 1v0 as long as the rail is actually higher than this value.
                    Thx for reply

Im already doing what you suggesting, already fixed a 1070GTX MSI , was water damaged, did some mistakes burned some 0Ohm resistors and tracer but in the end managed to fix it.

but this laptop is making me crazy, no diagram no schematics, Im advancing with your help

Comment

Update:
                      Removed the RT8819A IC, now im getting high resistance to ground and when i inject 1v there is no amps drain, ordered couple of IC, will update when they arrive, in meanwhile i will practice my QFN soldering.
                      Last edited by ZoOLf; 12-02-2021, 05:59 AM. Reason: Correcting

Comment

hi all,
                        so i Soldered the RT8819A IC now no short in 5v rail but im back to the first problem which is the TPS51258a getting very hot when 19v is present.
                        so when I inject 19v 1amps, in the 19v main rail that chip heat up, but when I inject less than 1amps (500mA) the chip is pulsing, i observe it with IR cam it, but I have a 6 pin chip with marking 8KB RX (RX is vertical) heat a little.
                        can you help me identify this chip?

pic attached.

Attached Files

Comment

Pjx138k Dual Mosfet
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by R_J; 02-09-2022, 04:33 PM.

Comment

thx, but after checking its not that chip, its th 822 resistor that goes hot,
                            after further inspection, desoldered the TPS51258a and injecting 19v found a Mosfet (PE616BA) pulsing which is connected to 3.3 rails, inspected it and its shorted to ground.
                            so i did inject 1v1A in that coil, the voltage drops to 0 with 1amps is drained but no heating present,
                            do i Increase the amps?

Comment

update:
                              so, after injecting 1v2amps, i got the PCH heating up, so its shorted...
                              replacing PCH is it doable? with heat gun?

Comment

Originally posted by zoolf View Post
                                update:
                                So, after injecting 1v2amps, i got the pch heating up, so its shorted...
                                Replacing pch is it doable? With heat gun?
                                a big no no

Comment

Working...
                                X