Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help an untrained ear to identify this sound? (unplugging a Hiper Type-R 480W)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help an untrained ear to identify this sound? (unplugging a Hiper Type-R 480W)

Thanks for checking in. The noise was gone, the diodes were mounted according to the symbols on the board, 85 ohms across the diode, and no visible solder bridges, but apparently I suck at soldering. I double checked my "work" and redid one of the joints of the zener and it works!

Because of my great skill and expensive equipment the traces had lifted around the rectifier diode, which didn't really motivate me to keep working on it. I probably wouldn't have if you hadn't made it sound like I was close.

Undecided whether I should ignore the lifted trace and just reassemble the thing.

Comment

Re: Help an untrained ear to identify this sound? (unplugging a Hiper Type-R 480W)

As long as you have a good connection you should be fine just look at the connections with a magnifying glass and make sure that there are no air gaps in joints

If you have an air gap you can sometimes put a small piece of wire from your part to the next through hole part that the trace went to diode

From the Diode to next through hole part on the same trace just make sure that the wire that you add does not touch something that it not suppose to touch

I hope that this will help you
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-19-2018, 09:37 AM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

For lifted pads on "easy" boards, you can usually fix them by just scraping off some solder-mask on the track with a sharp blade (don't push too hard!), bending the component lead over, and soldering it on the whole way. This provides a good mechanical connection as well as electrical.

See the attached photo - (From https://learn.adafruit.com/assets/2040) - NOTE: personally I would bend the lead flush with the board for better mechanical strength than have it looped over like they have.

Good work fixing it
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Agent24; 06-19-2018, 04:00 PM.
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

I decided to leave well enough alone, but thanks for the options.

A picture. The zener was a pain to wedge in under the heat sink, but it didn't break.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X