X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Component blow up, Asus GL704

Originally posted by Sephir0th View Post
    Edit: Let me Check your readings

You forgot the Coils on the left Side of CPU & GPU and also the two coils at the lower right of the GPU

Sorry i missed those, i noted them but forgot to put them on pic
    Hope its clear

And yeah about guide video i meant Sorin's ones.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ZoOLf; 04-24-2021, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Okay, at First thank you for the more detailed View now.

Where should i begin...

Obviously the Laptop didn't start at all. RAM, CPU and GPU voltages are Missing.

But i See another Problem with the Coils you forgot in the First Pic. I believe there is an RTX2070 soldered? In this Case we could tolerate the Low Reading at the GPU Core Coils but Not the Low Resistance to ground of the four upper coils which Points to the CPU Core (in my opinion).

How Low exactly is the RĂ©sistance Reading when you short your probes directly to each other?

This seems to be a Very expensive Board, so i'm a little Bit afraid to Help troubleshooting. Usually i would suggest to lift all four upper coils, then Check on which Side is the short. If the short is on the CPU-side inject 1V 2A and Look whether the Voltage Drops. But as i Said i am a little afraid. For me it is a clear Short at VCore but Maybe Someone Else Would confirm this is a normal Reading...

Which Type of CPU and GPU exactly are soldered there?

I have another Question: Shouldn't this Laptop still be in warranty?
      FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Okay, at First thank you for the more detailed View now.

Where should i begin...

Obviously the Laptop didn't start at all. RAM, CPU and GPU voltages are Missing.

But i See another Problem with the Coils you forgot in the First Pic. I believe there is an RTX2070 soldered? In this Case we could tolerate the Low Reading at the GPU Core Coils but Not the Low Resistance to ground of the four upper coils which Points to the CPU Core (in my opinion).

How Low exactly is the RĂ©sistance Reading when you short your probes directly to each other?

This seems to be a Very expensive Board, so i'm a little Bit afraid to Help troubleshooting. Usually i would suggest to lift all four upper coils, then Check on which Side is the short. If the short is on the CPU-side inject 1V 2A and Look whether the Voltage Drops. But as i Said i am a little afraid. For me it is a clear Short at VCore but Maybe Someone Else Would confirm this is a normal Reading...

Which Type of CPU and GPU exactly are soldered there?

I have another Question: Shouldn't this Laptop still be in warranty?
        Thx for your reply I really appreciate your time helping me.
        This laptop is 8750h 2070RTX.
        My multimeter shows 00.0 ohm when probes are shorted to each other.
        This board isnt under warranty anymore.

Edit: after reading your reply again and again, i did a new test and here the result:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ZoOLf; 04-24-2021, 04:04 PM.

Comment

This Looks much Better now. Good, you double-checked your measurements.

I have an Board with GTX1080 Here which still (somehow) works and reads Only 0.3 Ohms to ground, so should be fine. Resistance of CPU Core is high enough to Not suspect an issue there anymore.

So what next? You should Check whether the Voltage at the Power Button (or the corresponding Pin at the connector) has 3V present and Drops to 0V when pressed.
          Last edited by Sephir0th; 04-24-2021, 04:47 PM.
          FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

This Looks much Better now. Good, you double-checked your measurements.

I have an Board with GTX1080 Here which still (somehow) works and reads Only 0.3 Ohms to ground, so should be fine. Resistance of CPU Core is high enough to Not suspect an issue there anymore.

So what next? You should Check whether the Voltage at the Power Button (or the corresponding Pin at the connector) has 3V present and Drops to 0V when pressed.
            Done, found the corresponding pin and it drops to 0v when pressed

Ps: I updated the pic with where the 19v arrive at cpu coil level.. it drops to 0 after the little mosfet

Attached Files

Comment

Okay, that's fine but now the really hard Part of the repair begins: The search for Missing Logic Signals. This is already hard with Schematics but even harder without...

*** Edit: forget about the EC. It's a BGA one, it seems from ITE. But you could Check whether it is getting warm or hot when powered. It's located below the SSD. You should Remove the SSD anyway permanently to exclude an issue from there.***

Share also a clear Pic of the Region where the Coil with 68.3 Ohms measured, both Sides of the Mainboard. I want to know where the RAM Controller is soldered.

Did you Ever Tried to start the Board without RAM? Or Tried with another known working RAM? And of course you are working With a known good Adapter of correct wattage?
              Last edited by Sephir0th; 04-25-2021, 03:16 AM.
              FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Okay, that's fine but now the really hard Part of the repair begins: The search for Missing Logic Signals. This is already hard with Schematics but even harder without...

** Edit: forget about the EC. It's a BGA one, it seems from ITE. But you could Check whether it is getting warm or hot **

Share also a clear Pic of the Region where the Coil with 68.3 Ohms measured, both Sides of the Mainboard. I want to know where the RAM Controller is soldered.

Did you Ever Tried to start the Board without RAM? Or Tried with another known working RAM? And of course you are working With a known good Adapter of correct wattage?
                Yeah i did test with other working ram,

For EC ITE IT 8291E120A on the otherside:

Ram Coil region:

Otherside of motherboard ram region:

Is this the BGA ? :

Cant really feel if its warm or not.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by ZoOLf; 04-25-2021, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZoOLf View Post
                  Is this the BGA ? :

Cant really feel if its warm or not.
                  No, Not this Big one i mean the Second EC directly below the SSD. It's black, much smaller, has No Pins, and should be also from ITE. Check both ECs whether they're getting warm or hot.

Meanwhile i'll Check the Datasheet of the controller you found around RAM Area.
                  FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

No, Not this Big one i mean the Second EC directly below the SSD. It's black, much smaller, has No Pins, and should be also from ITE. Check both ECs whether they're getting warm or hot.

Meanwhile i'll Check the Datasheet of the controller you found around RAM Area.
                    Ahh i see, this one:
                    IT8225VG 128

Its not getting warm or hot...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Okay, Back to the RAM-Controller.

Check carefully Voltage of the Blue circled Points before and after Power Button pressed. Take also notice of Something Happening for an blink of an eye right after pressing. Take Care to Not accidently short Something. Additionally Check Resistance to ground of the Blue circled Points with all Power removed.

Actually i'm Not Sure how to Check the ECs without Schematics so my Help could come to an end soon...
                      Attached Files
                      FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Okay, Back to the RAM-Controller.

Check carefully Voltage of the Blue circled Points before and after Power Button pressed. Take also notice of Something Happening for an blink of an eye right after pressing. Take Care to Not accidently short Something. Additionally Check Resistance to ground of the Blue circled Points with all Power removed.

Actually i'm Not Sure how to Check the ECs without Schematics so my Help could come to an end soon...
                        Thx for your time

Here the reading
                        Pls note that nothing happens when i press power button
                        Edit: dono if this is important but before the laptop was starting automatically when plugin the charger with battery disconnected
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by ZoOLf; 04-25-2021, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Regarding the Results, your RAM-Controller Receives Just No Logic-Signal after pressing the Power Button.

In my opinion this Points to an Issue in the area of the EC. There is still a small Chance It's an BIOS issue, so you could get an cheap CH341A Programmer and try to reprogram the BIOS of the Board with a known working dump... Who Knows...

I'll try to find Out in which way both ECs are working on your Board
                          FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Regarding the Results, your RAM-Controller Receives Just No Logic-Signal after pressing the Power Button.

In my opinion this Points to an Issue in the area of the EC. There is still a small Chance It's an BIOS issue, so you could get an cheap CH341A Programmer and try to reprogram the BIOS of the Board with a known working dump... Who Knows...

I'll try to find Out in which way both ECs are working on your Board
                            I really appreciate your help and the time spent with me,
                            I already ordered an CH341A, I just thought the problem cant be related to the bios chip

Could the bios be resposible for the charge management? Bcz when the battery is connected the led dont turn on.

Comment

Hard to Tell why the Board with Adapter Only powered on before and now no reaction anymore.

I don't have a good answer for this behaviour but it could be that there are at least two issues Maybe three, because it seems there is additionally an issue at the Charging Circuit and for this reason the battery isn't Charging anymore.
                              It could also be the Case that all Points to the EC, because usually it communicates with the Battery via clock and Data Signals.
                              But this is Only guessing. Better to have facts, but hard to get some without Schematics or Datasheet.

However even with an issue at Charging Circuit, the Board should be able to start. For this reason i want to troubleshoot this behaviour first and If we are able to solve this, then we can Take a closer Look to the "smaller" issues, Like Charging Circuit and LVDS-Connector.
                              Last edited by Sephir0th; 04-25-2021, 10:08 AM.
                              FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

]

Much appreciate my friend.
                                I will wait for the CH341A to arrive and test it.
                                Just another noob question: i searched for the bios of this laptop found one: bios +EC, how to flash the EC file? And can i just flash that bios.bin to chip directly to the Chip with CH341A?

Comment

Right, you can reprogram the MAIN BIOS easily by flashing the .bin with the Software Like "Neoprogrammer". It is recommended to Remove the SPI FLASH from the MB and solder it to the included Mini-PCB and of course, make an Backup of your existing dump.

With the EC it wouldn't be an easy Task Like this. You need an Special Programmer Like Vertyanov Jig or SVOD to Programm it e.g. via the Keyboard Connector. However, it is often possible to buy such ECs preprogrammed from some merchants so you Maybe don't have to buy this Tools. Of course Anyone has to replace the EC, which is a small BGA (the one which needs Programming ist the one below the SSD). It needs some experience to solder it without issues.

So try the MAIN BIOS First. If this don't solve the issue we can brainstorming about what doing next.
                                  Last edited by Sephir0th; 04-25-2021, 11:14 AM.
                                  FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Ok lets hope it arrive quickly and it will fix it.
                                    Will keep you informed.
                                    Again thx a lot for the support

Comment

Right, you can reprogram the MAIN BIOS easily by flashing the .bin with the Software Like "Neoprogrammer". It is recommended to Remove the SPI FLASH from the MB and solder it to the included Mini-PCB and of course, make an Backup of your existing dump.

With the EC it wouldn't be an easy Task Like this. You need an Special Programmer Like Vertyanov Jig or SVOD to Programm it e.g. via the Keyboard Connector. However, it is often possible to buy such ECs preprogrammed from some merchants so you Maybe don't have to buy this Tools. Of course Anyone has to replace the EC, which is a small BGA (the one which needs Programming ist the one below the SSD). It needs some experience to solder it without issues.

So try the MAIN BIOS First. If this don't solve the issue we can brainstorming about what doing next.
                                      Hi I came back after a long time, with some updates:

1- so first I received the ferrit 3A and solder it in its place, now i have the 19v reaching the LVDS connector,

2- now when i connect the battery and the AC adapter, I have charging led lighting Orange (before it stayed off until i disconnect the battery) and it turned white after some times (which means the battery is fully charged)

3- I did flash the bios chip with CH341a clip, i flashed it soldered on the MB , no luck, the laptop stays dead.(do I need to desolder it and flash again?)

any other idea?

Comment

so after other tests: if the only battery is plagued I dont have the 5v in coil, but with adapter its there.

Comment

also , if i hold power button for long time when battery and charger plugged, the full charger indicator turns off,
                                          Edit: another thing, when i said earlier that im missing 5v when on battery, it needed a simple power button press to get it on rail, but the laptop still wont power on. does it need the fans plugged ? sort of protections?

im really need ideas and help
                                          Last edited by ZoOLf; 07-19-2021, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X