Here is a good used source for 18650 batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a good used source for 18650 batteries

Here is a website I have ordered from before and the results that they claim are correct from what I have seen from the batteries I have bought from them

BatteryHookUp.com

https://batteryhookup.com/collection...odem-batteries

I have test about 5 battery packs ( out of 15 battery packs I bought) and have had very good results and so far have not found any bad cells

I have also bought these battery packs before on EBay and they are a good source for a battery case that holds 18650 batteries however the batteries that are in them are not very good in respect of life meaning that they are close to the end of life

I have bought some from this company that have the outside case as well but they tell you that some of the cells might be bad and might not be useable ( they might heat up if charging voltage is higher than 4.0 volts if the voltage is kept low and the amperage is 500 milliamperes you can get fairly good results )

https://batteryhookup.com/products/2...cents-per-cell

I have a project for these battery cells that are in these cases for a solar panel battery pack for emergency battery packs power supply in case of a hurricane and have no electricity for a period of time

I just have to find an enclosure that is water thigh so I can use it outside for outside lighting

One note I am not getting paid for this information supplied for this post I was not given samples for testing of there batteries this information is given for anyone looking for a good source second hand surplus batteries
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-25-2021, 05:33 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: Here is a good used source for 18650 batteries

I have a project in mind for this battery charger for 12 volt / 20 volt charger

https://www.harborfreight.com/20v12v...ger-56559.html

With this battery pack

https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-li...ery-56566.html

With this battery case

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23380646196...53.m2749.l2649

I do have some of these tools in this tool lineup for use at work and so far the quality is very good from what I have expected for what I have paid for them

What I have in mind is to use the charger and the battery pack case as the power supply source and use the battery case so I can swap the battery quickly and put them on the battery tester machine for battery capacity testing

What I like about this battery pack charger is that it checks the battery voltage and if it is a little low it turns back on for a short period of time and goes back off again

Yes I know that there are people out there that do not think that Harbor Freight tools and especially battery powered tool are not very good but I can tell you that they have improved with this line up

These battery packs use LG 2 amp hour batteries my testing has showed that it more like 1.8 to 2 amp hour
    I think these batteries are the low end LG batteries but I am not positive about this

Harbor Freight low end power tool battery pack are still shit they use very low quality batteries that I would not even think about using unless I replace the batteries in the battery pack

Now I have not tried this Harbor Freight line up of tools yet so I can not comment on this lineup

https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-hy...ger-63529.html
    https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-hy...ery-63530.html

But in future I think about looking at there quality because I internet in this item

https://www.harborfreight.com/16-gal...nly-57394.html

If and when I have done some testing of this lineup I will give you the results of the testing
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-25-2021, 06:26 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

I have downloaded the software for the IMAX B6 battery charger / discharger tester
      The results are not what I expected to get but it will allow me to charge and test the batteries that I commented about before that heat up if you charge them above 4.0

The one thing that I do not like about this charger is that you can not adjust the cutout voltage which is very limiting but what it does have is a temperature sensor monitor that does stop the charger if the temperature goes beyond the temperature that you set

I have the temperature sensor cutoff set to 32*C so I do have have to sit there and watch it continuously which is a pain in the a**

I can look at the graphic display page to see at what temperature does it start to climb so I know up to what voltage I can use before it starts to climb

The item that are marked as “ view ” and it changes the screen
      Attached Files
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-25-2021, 02:33 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I have HFT's first gen li-ion pack and drill.. oh boy it sucked, mine died, one cell out of three went weak and the drill became nonfunctional after return warranty expired. Idiot me bought a replacement battery after a year, well, at least this one is holding up. I also got an identical battery and drill from Goodwill for cheap, but with no charger. Of course I have my charger and surprisingly this battery pack is holding up as well.

Seems like a craps shoot with HFT. But knock on wood.

At least it hasn't gone ... yet ...

Comment

I did find a water tight enclosure

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15449538525...8AAOSwe1pgsKOu
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post

Seems like a craps shoot with HFT. But knock on wood.

At least it hasn't gone ... yet ...
            This is the reason I buy the battery first and hack it open to see what type of battery cells the battery pack has
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I have HFT's first gen li-ion pack and drill.. oh boy it sucked, mine died, one cell out of three went weak
              And gets reversed by the remaining ones, growing dendrites in the process.

Smoke is good... flavor country.
              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
              Originally posted by shango066
              All style and no substance.
              Originally posted by smashstuff30
              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                And gets reversed by the remaining ones, growing dendrites in the process.

Smoke is good... flavor country.
                Actually HFT actually did this right, reversal won't happen... so fortunately this isn't a problem except it's now a useless pack.

Comment

Battery Hookup is running a sale on these battery packs

https://batteryhookup.com/products/h...lg-18650-cells

I bought some myself
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Update I have open some more of these batteries that mentioned earlier
                    So far I have three different types of cells

Two different LG model numbers but both are 2200 milliampere hour rated
                    One is Molicel brand rated at 2200 but I have not checked the website to confirm the exact milliampere hour

https://batteryhookup.com/collection...odem-batteries
                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-03-2021, 09:41 AM.
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I sure hope Elon isn't buying these...who knows when we'll get a dead cell in the middle of the interstate...

How bad are the packs, I don't see why I couldn't just use the whole pack as-is perhaps if I had a voltage converter ready.

Comment

have been trying to find scrap value for lithium cells to make it more worthwhile looking at used ones . cant find much info though .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                          have been trying to find scrap value for lithium cells to make it more worthwhile looking at used ones . cant find much info though .
                          What are you wanting to do I might be able to help you with it

I know where you can find good quality used cell in the USA in the United Kingdom I can not tell you where you can find but if can find a company that recycling medical equipment batteries that would be your best bet or a company that recycles internet modems batteries is another good source for batteries

But you would need to have a battery spot welder to put on the tabbing you can solder them if cut the tabbing in such a way that you can still get the batteries out of the battery holder if they have them if they
                          not have holders it is easier to work with but you would need a dermal cutoff wheel 1” to 2” in diameter and carefully to not damage the battery cell it can be done because I have done it this from time to time

What I am doing with the ones that I am buying is making a cell phone and tablet battery packs that have a very long running time because the ones I can find use some very questionable quality batteries the USB charger/power supply boards for the most part are very good quality for the most part
                          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-03-2021, 07:01 PM.
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

still no easy way to recycle the lithium in used lithium ion cells, too labor intensive to separate the lithium and the graphite/copper/...

Comment

still no easy way to recycle the lithium in used lithium ion cells, too labor intensive to separate the lithium and the graphite/copper/...
                              There won't ever be an easy way unless the batteries are deigned for recycling.
                              There are however a handful of companies that recycle batteries.

Comment

I wonder how much more recycling lead acid batteries could benefit, the plastic recycling might be the final problem for it, but pretty much all batteries have a plastic problem.

Comment

There's no problems recycling lead acid batteries, they have a 90-100% recycling rate making them one of the most recycled items globally, what bit are you wondering about ?

Expired packs or packs from damaged EVs are currently reused due to their high value. There won't be much recycling of EV batteries until their value falls.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                    There's no problems recycling lead acid batteries, they have a 90-100% recycling rate making them one of the most recycled items globally, what bit are you wondering about ?

Expired packs or packs from damaged EVs are currently reused due to their high value. There won't be much recycling of EV batteries until their value falls.
                                    But are there companies that you can buy used battery pack for reuse
                                    Yes there might some bad cells but sometimes the rest of the cells are still useable
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

The question I have for if you want to recycle cells that are not good any more where do you take them that are recycled and just incinerated or are put in a landfill

Because I have a lot of them that I need to recycle them in the USA

I have at 100 or more that I need to do something with
                                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-04-2021, 09:17 AM.
                                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                      1 Dell Mother Board
                                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                                        The question I have for if you want to recycle cells that are not good any more where do you take them that are recycled and just incinerated or are put in a landfill

Because I have a lot of them that I need to recycle them in the USA

I have at 100 or more that I need to do something with
                                        They are toxic and hazardous. They need to go to a company that will deal with them responsibly, landfill is not responsible but it's the USA.

Comment

Working...
                                        X