ESD Safe vs Normal Soldering Irons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ESD Safe vs Normal Soldering Irons?

Hello all.. I was looking into buying a temp. controlled soldering station before I get started on my first recapping project. Before I started looking into buying a soldering station I didn't even know about irons being ESD-safe or not. The first one I bought was a cheap store brand 22 watt iron and I used it for many projects including soldering a touch screen controller, 4-port USB hub and a bluetooth adapter to my Asus EEE 701 without any issues whatsoever.

I'm not looking for product recommendations or anything.. I would just like to know if I should stick with ESD safe and why I should do so? Or if I get a regular station is there any precautions I should take? From my experience using my first soldering iron it didn't seem to make any difference to me.

Re: ESD Safe vs Normal Soldering Irons?

As long as you touch an earthed object before starting work, no problem using a regular iron.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Thanks.. That was the answer I was hoping to hear

Comment

Ok, so now I've seen a soldering station that claims it has:

"Zero Voltage" circuitry eliminates both high voltage spike and magnetic field generation at the tip to prevent unnecessary damaged to electronic components.

Just curious if this means the same thing as ESD-safe?

Comment

fyi most ungrounded irons are crap.

i know of a good one if cash is low that is grouned (i use one). the xytronic 258... the only "good" non grounded one i saw was a weller and it was a POS for a weller.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Deft View Post
            It does, just in more fancy terms.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Deft View Post
              Ok, so now I've seen a soldering station that claims it has:

"Zero Voltage" circuitry eliminates both high voltage spike and magnetic field generation at the tip to prevent unnecessary damaged to electronic components.

I think "zero voltage" here refers to the temperature controller switching the AC on or off only when the DC voltage level is exactly zero, so only pure half sinewaves are produced, with no abrupt switching that generates spikes.

I saw replacement irons for the Hakko 936 soldering station. The black ones were ESD safe; the white ones were not. Both had grounded tips.

Comment

i dont like grounded tips, it assumes the circuit is discharged.
                i connect my iron tips through a 4m7 resistor.

it limits the current so that static is killed but you can still solder live stuff.
                (not mains)

Comment

why in the @#%& would you solder a live circuit? i thought common sense said not to do that.

welcome to 2010, where common sense is an oxymoron
                  sigpic

Comment

Because the device is a reactor safety issue and the tactical situation doesn't allow shutting down the plant to fix it.

Changing out switches in live 400 vdc circuits is fun too.

Rubber mats every where.
                    Rubber gloves.
                    Face shield.
                    And a guy holding a rope that's tied around you standing by to yank you out if you take a hit.
                    It's not just a job........
                    Last edited by PCBONEZ; 09-21-2010, 02:13 AM.
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

well that is different. specific use. but who in the $%&* would have a reactor in their basement? not exactly the kind of thing you buy at walmart...
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm probably not going to solder directly onto a live circuit anytime soon but I did recently find a place to buy a Hakko 936 locally for a reasonable price. Hopefully the next person that Googles "buy Hakko 936 in Toronto" finds this post and realize they can get one at Active Electronic Supplies Depot for $100.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                          well that is different. specific use. but who in the $%&* would have a reactor in their basement? not exactly the kind of thing you buy at walmart...
                          Because a pretty big percentage of the regulars on Badcaps do not do their main work soldering in their mommys basement (no offense meant)
                          -What I mean is that this info is good for many people here, and I'm sure some already do this kind of work...
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Per Hansson, your signature is incredibly appropriate.

"The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                            -

Comment

working on car wiring usually incures soldering live lines.
                              you cant disconnect the battery first because it causes all kinds of shit from losing the electric window safety settings to losing the fuel management fine-tuning.

just because it's only 12v doesnt mean you want sparks on your soldering tip!

Comment

thats why you pull the fuse for the circuit you are working on...
                                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                  Per Hansson, your signature is incredibly appropriate.

Thanks

Some customers at work even asked for a hard copy when they saw it posted on the LASER machine I was running then

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                    thats why you pull the fuse for the circuit you are working on...
                                    what fuse?
                                    i'm installing high current wires from the battery *to* the new fusebox!

Comment

Working...
                                    X