• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus M2V-TVM frustration

This had bulging 3300uf 6.3v KZG in VRM output

Didn't test it first, replaced them with Sanyo WG

Then tried board - no sign of life

Reflashed BIOS chip externally - still no sign of life

Some therapeutic cursing, removed HSF & RAM, to test if Sempron 3000 got warm after power on

Only mildly so, but then after a few seconds of silent testing, it started getting warmer and "no memory" beeps started

Replaced HSF & RAM, and it booted up nicely

Tested, including MemTest86+ and an XP install, without issue

Left overnight, and you guessed it, next morning dead as a dodo

More testing without HSF & RAM, no luck this time, then noticed CMOS battery which measured ~2.9v last night, was now ~2.6v

Put in new battery of ~3.3v and "no memory" beeps straight away

Then booted fine, and another session of successful testing

Next day, dead again, and CMOS battery ~2.8v

Tried another new battery of ~3.2v, no luck

Put the thing aside before violence started

Wondering about 1000uf 16v KZG in VRM input ...
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Re: Asus M2V-TVM frustration

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
    This had bulging 3300uf 6.3v KZG in VRM output

Didn't test it first, replaced them with Sanyo WG

Then tried board - no sign of life

Reflashed BIOS chip externally - still no sign of life

Some therapeutic cursing, removed HSF & RAM, to test if Sempron 3000 got warm after power on

Only mildly so, but then after a few seconds of silent testing, it started getting warmer and "no memory" beeps started

Replaced HSF & RAM, and it booted up nicely

Tested, including MemTest86+ and an XP install, without issue

Left overnight, and you guessed it, next morning dead as a dodo

More testing without HSF & RAM, no luck this time, then noticed CMOS battery which measured ~2.9v last night, was now ~2.6v

Put in new battery of ~3.3v and "no memory" beeps straight away

Then booted fine, and another session of successful testing

Next day, dead again, and CMOS battery ~2.8v

Tried another new battery of ~3.2v, no luck

Put the thing aside before violence started

Wondering about 1000uf 16v KZG in VRM input ...
    Does it crash when left on?
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
      Does it crash when left on?
      Rock solid stable

This morning it started straight away, although had lost CMOS settings - and battery of ~2.8v which I hot-swapped in last night while testing, was still ~2.8v

Don't forget, it's Winter here in southern hemisphere, and while unheated garage/workshop/playpen may not get cold by northern hemisphere standards, it's still pretty chilly

Hot-swapped in another CMOS battery of ~2.9v which retained settings through a brief power-off, and going to replace Sempron 3000 with Athlon X2 3600 to see how it goes

I quite like Via-powered stuff, compared to nVidia s**t
      better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Almost certainly a northbridge which needs to be re-balled or reflowed.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Yeah. Take off the heatsink and reflow the VIA northbridge. Careful on the temps though, they're sensitive.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Here's a pic before my first attempt, with a bit of aluminium angle shielding the capacitors

The stuff around the northbridge is Amtech Syntech-TF - hopefully genuine, although from eBay, it was a vendor in Connecticut USA

I've had two goes at it - first with hot air station set at 320c, second at 350c, both times fairly slow air flow

Neither very successful - thinking once more at 370c, before it meets the garbage tin
            Attached Files
            Last edited by pfrcom; 07-28-2015, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Maybe third time lucky

I tried another reflow yesterday at 370c, after which it booted immediately

Left overnight, this morning it booted straight away again - with CMOS settings retained, and battery not discharged

Tested a clean install of XP without problems, it's now run Aida64 System Stability Test for ~2 hours

My thanks to mockingbird and Th3_uN1Qu3
              Last edited by pfrcom; 07-31-2015, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X