Need assistance ID'ing FP5K 18Ah 271 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need assistance ID'ing FP5K 18Ah 271 16

I dont know a damn thing about capacitors other than to tell when they're dead. So I dont know the SMD/polymer/etc lingo without googling and reading for the next few hours (which I'll do) but I figured I'd attack on all fronts while doing that. Seems it's a 271uH, 16V, but I dont know where to shop for these or what style I'm looking for. Can you get a BETTER cap than this to swap it with?

So I bought this thing off ebay, and it came in dead. Of course, right? Looking over the card, this is all I can tell is wrong, and it doesnt seem to be an uncommon problem after some googling.

So where can I find another of these? I greatly appreciate the help!
    Attached Files

Re: Need assistance ID'ing FP5K 18Ah 271 16

would this one work?
    http://www.newark.com/nichicon/rl81c...tor/dp/79R3110

Comment

those caps on your video card are nichicon fpcap. its a jap polymer cap and its a through-hole cap not an SMD cap as the black "platform" under the cap is missing. dont see anything wrong with them. how do u know they are bad and where did u read that they often failed? unless they tested out of spec with an esr capacitance meter?

Comment

FP = Aluminum Solid Electrolytic Capacitors with Functional Polymer (very low ESR)
        5K = 5000 hours
        18Ah = ?
        271 = 270uF (not uH)
        16 = 16V

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
          those caps on your video card are nichicon fpcap. its a jap polymer cap and its a through-hole cap not an SMD cap as the black "platform" under the cap is missing. dont see anything wrong with them. how do u know they are bad and where did u read that they often failed? unless they tested out of spec with an esr capacitance meter?
          card doesnt work, and on the BACK of the card, it looks burned/melted around the base of the cap. its the only thing i can physically see that might suggest why it wouldnt be working. tried an oven-bake reflow to no avail. i havent tested it for capacitance, although my multimeter will let me, i didnt want to start doing that on a potentially bad part still connected to the card - i didnt know if that would be risking anything else?

and a quick googling for "capacitor video card" showed others doing it on youtube and forums. perhaps "frequent" was exaggerating the situation some, but its not unheard of.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by sean.b; 11-09-2015, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X