No backlight on Sony Vaio Pro 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No backlight on Sony Vaio Pro 13

So I purchased a defective Vaio Pro 13, which would not display anything on the screen, however the HDMI output works.
    I purchased a whole new screen assembly in the hopes that it would work, however still nothing. I took a flashlight and found that it was the backlight which was dead. I know how to solder, and have no problems with a multimeter, however I have never fixed a backlight fuse before, and I have no idea where the fuse is positioned. I took a picture of the display connector and the area around it, does anyone know where the fuse is? And could I just remove the fuse and solder between the pads to short it, to make it work?

Image: http://imgur.com/RX3ViTE

Re: No backlight on Sony Vaio Pro 13

its a very small fuse , you got 2 near lvds but i dont believe are does ones . but one of them its green with a P on the right side of lvds , and the outher is like a little black resistor with the S letter on it . but my guess is that the fuse you look is on the outher side of the board .. best thing is to give us board code , for we can manage to tell you exact were to look

Comment

and yes you can remove fuse and ADD a very tin wire (from a speaker laptop cable , remove one wire of the multiwiring , and solder between pads ,,it will act like a fuse since its only a very tin wire

Comment

Originally posted by highpulse View Post
        its a very small fuse , you got 2 near lvds but i dont believe are does ones . but one of them its green with a P on the right side of lvds , and the outher is like a little black resistor with the S letter on it . but my guess is that the fuse you look is on the outher side of the board .. best thing is to give us board code , for we can manage to tell you exact were to look
        Thanks for the quick reply! I don't have the board close by right now, however where do you see the green one with the P on it?

Comment

the ones with a 0 insyde is 0ohm resistor it will act as a fuse also , so all does components i marked to you , must make continuity in continuity mode on your multimeter
          Attached Files

Comment

the ones with a 0 insyde is 0ohm resistor it will act as a fuse also , so all does components i marked to you , must make continuity in continuity mode on your multimeter
            I actually tried testing continuity on the one with a S inside, and I'm pretty sure no continuity was detected, will try the others as well, when I get to the computer again! Thanks for the great help! Would it be responsible to just short the pads with solder, on the fuses which has no continuity?

Comment

yes , but bether using one part of a multisectioned wire , to make a "fuse" you can add solder , but in case of highcurrent it can kill your screen fuse is a safety , so instead of using solder , use a very tin wire and solder 1 wire from pad to pad

Comment

yes , but bether using one part of a multisectioned wire , to make a "fuse" you can add solder , but in case of highcurrent it can kill your screen fuse is a safety , so instead of using solder , use a very tin wire and solder 1 wire from pad to pad
                Yes you are absolutely right, using a wire would be best, however instead of soldering a wire to two pads to test, I could just short them, and see if the backlight turns on, and afterwards solder a thin wire

Comment

Success! The screen now lights up! Is it possible to buy a fuse to replace it completely? Are there differences on fuses other than size?

Comment

Originally posted by jacobtc View Post
                    Success! The screen now lights up! Is it possible to buy a fuse to replace it completely? Are there differences on fuses other than size?
                    EDIT: I think I found the fuse to replace it with, a Bourns 2A, however I am unsure of the size.

Comment

Hi jacobtc and highpulse, I just registered to reply to you.

I got the same problem, I bought a Vaio Pro 13 with a broken backlight a few months ago. I disassembled it and at first I tought it was the cable that wasn't connected properly. I connected it and the backlight worked - till now. I disassembled the Vaio again before a few hours to renew the sticky tape behind the display, cause it didn't taped anymore and now my backlight is not working. I saw this thread and tried out highpulses suggestions and I find out it's the fuse with the S on it.

Is there another way to bridge this fuse? I don't have the equipment to change smd parts..

So how the heck could it worked all the time with this broken fuse? ^^
                      Did you find out the size of the fuse? I just measured about 170mA current but will have a break now and got to bed.
                      I would be glad to get a reply

Comment

Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and thanks to you and this thread I ALMOST fixed my backlight. So I followed the advice and replaced fuse (with S on the piture) with a wire ( , but in the process, because I was using a heatgun, I used aluminium tape to protect everything around the fuse from heat and while putting it in I of course forgot to take out the battery which resulted in a short somewhere in this region (). Why do I know it was a short? A little smoke came from somewhere there. Now the backlight works, but when you put it brighter, it begins to flicker and dimms out at about 80% of brightness. Below 80% it works fine. I suspect a blown cap somewhere? Or a resistor? I inspected the area with a microscope and it showed no obvious signs of burn. Without schematics Its hard for me to find the reason for this backlight flickering. Do you guys have any advice for me?

Comment

Working...
                        X