Atng Ap-500x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atng Ap-500x

$9 on ebay. Pretty good deal for a unit with extremely good voltage regulation and very little ripple. Don't be fooled by the model number, it is a 450W. Despite being almost server grade in voltages and ripple, it features such things as 100% Fujiyuu with a non-thermal control fan (though it has the ability, on this the spot for the temp sensor is jumperwired right through,) as well as making you think it has APFC.

here is a review of the same platform:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...=Story&reid=32

Lets start off with a label shot:

250W on the 5v and 3.3v as well as the presence of only a 20pin main connector with a 6pin auxiliary (has a 4 pin cpu too) shows that this is set up nicely for something like a dual athlon mp board. All cables have 18 gauge wiring except for low current ones like the -12v, 5vsb, etc... which are 20 gauge.

Overview shot. Quiet a well built power supply. The transient filter starts out with a 3300pf Y cap and a .1uf X cap built into the ac receptacle, as well as 4 Y caps, 2 X caps, and 2 coils on the PCB. The bridge rectifier is crammed in there as to where I cannot see what it is, but has a heatsink and is right in front of the fan. You can also see the secondary side chokes of massive proportions.

The secondary caps. Sigh. Yup, Fujiyuu. Every one from the 820uf primaries, all the secondaries, and even the small ones down to the 50v, .1uf's. I ordered new caps for the secondary from topcat. I was able to match, or exceed, all of them except for the 4700uf, 16v cap on the 12v rail. The 12v is filtered by one 4700uf 16v (12.5mm x 25mm) and a 3300uf 16v (10mm x 30mm) I ordered 2 Samxon 3300uf 16v caps (10mm x 30mm) I remember hearing somewhere on here that kc8adu or somebody took one of these brand new 12.5mm 4700 Fujiyuu's and it wasn't even close to 4700, so it should be fine.

Now a word about the PF correction on this. Remember how I said that it makes you think it has it.

Note the 110/220 "automatico" sticker in place of the voltage switch. Nope, no switch behind it either. So it has APFC then, right?

Well, nope. Thats what this little module is. It literally automatically switches between 110v and 220v. No PFC of any kind here.

If you looked at the JG review of the rosewill based on the same design, you'll notice the voltages just don't budge. This is a very good platform (sans the caps). In case you were wondering, the secondary schottky's on this are as follows:

3.3v: 1 40A, 45V schottky. Assuming 30% duty cycle, 28A. Close enough (may not actually have 30% duty cycle, just a common duty cycle)

5v: 2 40A, 45V schottky. Assuming 30% duty cycle, 56A. Overspec'd

12v: 1 40A, 45V schottky. Assuming 30% duty cycle, 28A. A little overspec'd.

I cannot get a good enough view of the primary switcher to ID it's part number.

And here is the link for the supervisory IC, a TI TPS3510P

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe.../TPS3510P.html
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 370forlife; 12-12-2009, 01:06 PM.

Re: Atng Ap-500x

It makes no sense... Why ruin such a good PSU with Fuhjyyu?!?
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

I can't understand why Fuhjyyu are the most often used capacitors in psus... It's impossible that psu makers don't know how bad that caps are.

Comment

They design themselves into it by only leaving room for 10mm caps.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

I ordered a couple extra of the 16v, 3300uf's so I may put a extra one in there using the unused holes for the 12v wires and the negative wires.

Comment

I just noticed those heatsinks look a very similar style to those on my Liberty
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
            X