Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soldering plastic low profile FPC close camera CMOS sensor ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldering plastic low profile FPC close camera CMOS sensor ?

Hello, I will have to solder a very small FPC connector (pins : 0.3mm), on the pcb of CMOS sensor, it is very close. I was surprised by movie on ytb, someone soldering directly with hot air directly on the sensor without kapton, nothing.
    CMOS sensor seems resist to high temps.
    But I also directly saw sensor broken because a blocked motor at the corner became very hot and probably bent the metal frame and cracked the sensor.

I have low melting point solder.
    I will probably test hot air directly on one of plastic connector (I have a lot) at 320 degree on a test board, just to see if it melting ?
    But I guess it's best to apply hot air from under pcb, but this way means more temp and I don't like.
    I could preheat a little the board for avoid too high temperature difference ?

Do you have advice please ?
    Attached Files

I will suggest to also post this request on the smtnet.com website forum for advice.

Comment

Besides, why hot protect the rest of the board with kapton & aluminum tape ?

You can also use a very fine tip, with flux and that low melt solder, and solder the connector that way.

Comment

Thanks for reply. I'm still waiting connector, not yet delivered.
        I will probably cover the sensor, but I don't want isolate all the board except connectors, because that could create a hot spot around connector and cold spot on board under kapton. I prefer rising slowly the temp to 200 degree on all board, and then increase temp on connector.

I cant reach the connector pins with solder iron, because there is no pins, the connector has only pads fully under. The « pins » you see on picture is just solder on pads of the board, because pads are longer.
        Not yet requested to smtnet.com but I will do

Comment

Working...
        X