Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I tried soldering the 0201 of the Powercolor RX6600 GPU chip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried soldering the 0201 of the Powercolor RX6600 GPU chip.

The problem is that lead needs to be applied to the lower surface, but the fillet on the side caused interference. It didn't work well with the soldering iron, so I applied a small amount of welding cream to the lower copper surface and tried using a hot air gun, but it failed. Is there a better way?

you probably need to heat the area first with a hotplate or hot air and then do the soldering

Comment

Thank you for your answer. Is this correct order of heating it with a soldering iron first, then applying flux, then adding a little lead, then placing the element and heating it with a heating gun? It would be better to do it one by one. If I did it all at once, the elements stuck together.

Comment

I find that if you heat the area around the edges of where the component is going to be on the board then use the soldering iron to mount the component seems to work most of the time for me but you have to be patient and you have to cover the areas where you do not want the heat to be exposed to like surface mount capacitors and resistors and anything that will get damaged by excessive heat

Now —>

If you are doing surface mount components then you might be better off with a tweezer style soldering iron will make your life much easier and doing this job easier

I have to ask which component are you trying to do the very big component then what STJ suggested would work but you need to monitor the temperature of the component if you have any intention of reusing it otherwise it might get damaged by the amount of heat and the length of time it is exposed to heat beyond the recommended temperature and time which this information would be in the data sheet for the device component
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-21-2024, 08:29 AM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%
        1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board
        All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

i like to heat the area with hot air and use some type of clamp to hold the air so you have both hands free,
          then use tweezers and a soldering iron while the air is still blowing on the board

Comment

Proper temperature control is important. And I think I need to apply only a very small amount of solder. I'm a beginner, so it didn't work well because it was too small to do with my hands. When I used a heating gun, the difficulty level was easier and it stuck more firmly. Thank you all. I won't give up and will try again today.

Comment

The one thing is that you have to have patience you can not be in a hurry because then things do not go well
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
              10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
              6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
              1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
              25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
              6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply
              1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%
              1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
              2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board
              All of these had CAPs POOF
              All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
              X