through hole repair??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

through hole repair??

I was recapping my evga nforce6200, and damaged a though hole. The thin metal lining is gone. Is there a way to repair it? Should I just junk the board? It was just a spare that had blown Sacon FZs anyway.

Re: through hole repair??

On multi-layered boards, as in your case, it is rumored that the cap is still connected by the vias which run through the layers even if the pad is ripped from the bottom. I don't know how reliable this is though, because the way I look at it is, even if there are vias, the solder will still have to melt through the later so that the lead makes contact with the via. Most times when I ripped pads off completely on these said boards, the hole was small enough as it is, and my iron is only like 15-30 watts, so I doubt the solder was able to penetrate to the vias.

On a single-layer board, it's easy. Just scrape away some of the laminate, and run the lead to the exposed area.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by asand1 View Post
      The thin metal lining is gone. Is there a way to repair it?
      Well I had written something, but mockingbird's explanation is much better.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The thin metal lining inside the hole is called a via.
        Repair of those is hit-miss and the outlook isn't good.

Some vias make connections to the other side of the board and that's it.
        Other vias make connections between layers of the board.
        You really can't tell just by looking at one.

The usual cause for problems with vias and pads is too wimpy a soldering iron or too low a temp.

The PCB material doesn't conduct much heat but with too 'cold' a tip you end up 'on the work' -longer- so the PCB material has time to absorb enough heat to melt a little and get soft releasing the pad or via.
        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-20-2011, 09:34 PM.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

I read somewhere (probably here:http://www.qsl.net/n9zia/desolder.html)

- that the glue holding the copper to the substrate actually loses about 80% of its strength when heated.

How accurate that is I have no idea.
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

I thought the copper was electroplated on.
            I'm pretty sure it is for the vias themselves.
            I understand that's how they make the connections to the middle layers.

Quite possible both methods are used depending on what the board is and what they are doing.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Sorry, should have been more specific, yeah the vias and through holes would be electroplated (I don't know how you'd do it any other way)

It was just some additional information I thought was relevant to the subject of PCB damage, but should only apply to tracks\pads not the vias themselves.
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

That's not what I meant.
                I thought the whole board was electroplated with copper before the etching.
                You might be right and the copper is glued on or maybe they do either/or depending on the board.
                Or maybe even the preferred method has changed over time.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Oh right. Yeah I wouldn't know for sure what they do now. I always thought it was glued on (that's what I always read) but that was often in books quite old.
                  -David VanHorn

Comment

As far as I know they chemically deposit the copper inside the vias,until the exact diameter of the hole is reached (the holes are drilled slightly larger on purpose)

See at about 3:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXsch...eature=related

Comment

Yeah we established that already, but what about the copper already on the board for tracks\pads etc?

Do they glue or electroplate that?
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                        Yeah we established that already, but what about the copper already on the board for tracks\pads etc?

Do they glue or electroplate that?
                        And the copper layers in between PCB layers on multilayer boards.
                        I had in my head it was electroplated on, but I really don't know.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

If it's multilayer, I'm betting glued, as they have to bond the layers with insulation between them. The video I posted shows some sort of machine where they use heat and pressure to bond them together.

I think electroplating is used just to deposit layers of gold or silver on the pads - it would take a lot of time to deposit the copper tracks at that thickness on the fiber board.

There was another Youtube video where they showed every step of pcb manufacturing with a more classical production line, with lots of vats of liquid and chemical etching and less high tech machines but I can't find it now. That explained everything in more detail...

Comment

Originally posted by asand1 View Post
                            I was recapping my evga nforce6200, and damaged a though hole. The thin metal lining is gone. Is there a way to repair it? Should I just junk the board? It was just a spare that had blown Sacon FZs anyway.
                            Fix the board as normal and see if it operates. The power sections are usually quite simple with the front and back being ground and power so there's no need for vias to connect to internal layers.

If a trace on either side seems to go somewhere useful then there's probably no internal connection. If neither side seems to go anywhere then there probably is an internal connection. Many caps are in parallel. As long as you didn't damage the via closest to the inductor output then adding more capacitance at an undamaged parallel location would fix the problem.

Sometimes the only purpose for the via is to connect the front to the back. If so then extra care must be taken to ensure the soldering maintains this connection.
                            sig files are for morons

Comment

Working...
                            X