a bent cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a bent cap

I got my new mobo but I found a cap is bent, it is not settled 90 degre on the mobo PCB, so this can cause problems ?

Re: a bent cap

As long as the solder joint is complete it will be fine.
    Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

The cap doesn't look bulged, but it possibly has blown out the bung at the bottom - hence the weird angle. Look closely for signs of failure, like spilling electrolyte. They look like Chemi-con caps though, so shouldn't fail prematurely.

Like MD Willington said, as long as the cap is correctly soldered to the motherboard, it will work properly. I've seen recap jobs where the caps are pointing in all directions, yet the solder joints are fine and the board runs perfectly. The only problem you may encounter is when putting memory into the slot - the cap that's pointing at an angle will be slightly 'weaker', and could snap off if hit hard.
      You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

can I gently puch it to the right position or it can be break while puching it ?

Comment

Hm, gently may be, but at a point, you will harm the wirebonding in the cap itself. So i would only chek, if the wires are left fixed in the cap or may be somone has disrupt them.
          If anything else is fine, i would not care abouth it.

Comment

probably was bumped .
            if it makes you feel better push it back into place.wont hurt it either way.

Comment

I tend to bend all slightly bent over caps straight up obsessively. (where pin alignment allows one to do so of course)

Harmless. Often they do get bumped during shipment.

Comment

i tried to puch it back, but it can't be puched, it seems like it is strong at its position, I don't want to force it

Comment

Leave it alone, it will be fine. Just follow what others suggested. If the bottom bung is blown or ruptured, it's failing or has failed, and needs to be replaced. If the solder joints on the bottom of the motherboard are fine, then it was just a fluke at the factory.

Comment

There are two different, possible situations with a bent cap.

1) It wasn't sitting flush to the board when soldered in and by sticking up, it was more susceptible to being bent, or might have even had slightly bent leads originally. This is not a problem.

2) It was sitting flush originally and bumped hard enough that the terminals have pulled away from the foil. This is a potential problem, if not immediately then after some time the cap may have degraded function.

It is probably #1, and I'd go ahead and use the board, taking a wait-n-see approach but if you're REALLY curious, you could always take the cap off and examine the bottom to see if the larger portion of the terminal(s) is now exposed.

Comment

Working...
                    X