X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO BODY MARKING Diode

Hello Everyone,
    I have 1 diode on a circuit that I suspected to be faulty because the forward and reverse bias has a voltage drop reading.
    While compared to the reading of another diode from the next channel it won't read at reverse bias.
    Now the problem is; it does not have any body marking.
    So I tried to sketch the diagram and found out that it is connected to the base and collector of the C3632 transistor.
    What do you think is this diode?
    Can you please suggest what part number can i use to replace this faulty diode instead?

Hoping that you can help me on this. Click image for larger version

Name:	no_marking.png
Views:	85
Size:	869.0 KB
ID:	3290099 Click image for larger version

Name:	c3632.png
Views:	355
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	3290098

Thank you so mch!
  • Answer selected by dennis_elx33 at 06-14-2024, 07:24 PM.

This is likely to be 1N4148, small glass signal diode, very common, and probably not your problem - failt diodes tends to be shorted.
    The silk screen have symbol of diode and marking D.
    Last edited by harp; 06-14-2024, 06:44 AM.

Comment

It is soldered in parallel to the transistor (this is the result).... If in doubt, you need to raise at least one pin and check it in the circuit.

Comment

This is likely to be 1N4148, small glass signal diode, very common, and probably not your problem - failt diodes tends to be shorted.
        Last edited by harp; 06-14-2024, 06:44 AM.

Comment

lotas yes, i removed it already and measured stand alone. Also have tried to inject voltage to check if it is a normal diode or zener diode. But it seems that it is a normal diode because the voltage drop i read versus the voltage supplied is still same even i injected up to 6VDC already.

Comment

harp thank you so much! Will try your suggestion out😇 by the way, is there any risk if i use the 1N4148 directly and test the unit at the machine?

Comment

I dont know, probably not shuld be any catastrofic risk... but, if you tested your diode out from circuit, and it is good, I suggest you that you put back like it is be.
              If on pcb find only one mark ZD or symbol of zenner on silk screen, that mean that for sure your diode is not zenner. Zenner diode in glass package often have colored ring or two, like yellow, green or so...

Comment

Originally posted by harp View Post
                Not all companies designate zener diodes on boards with the symbol Z, ZD.., they can all be designated D (in my opinion, a 7.5v zener diode is designated as D.
                Attached Files

Comment

Lotas, nice catch!

Comment

Thank you so much guys!
                    To make things clear, I attached herewith the images of the faulty diode (channel 1) versus the good diode (channel 2).

Click image for larger version

Name:	good_vs_bad_diode.png
Views:	66
Size:	884.9 KB
ID:	3290642

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
                      Not all companies designate zener diodes on boards with the symbol Z, ZD.., they can all be designated D (in my opinion, a 7.5v zener diode is designated as D.
                      This is correct. I noticed that a long time ago as well.

Comment

Yes, there were times before and all the details were marked on the board.

Name:	AD178926-B340-42B0-9715-BE8D4BB580AE.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	3290747

Comment

Yes, the diode is faulty. Have you noticed what Lotas pointed out, that on other diode is marking "7.5", so if you check with supply, voltage must be higher than 6v. Normaly zenner tester have about 50v and 1 or 10mA on probes.
                          Check, maybe your faulty diode has marking oriented to pcb side?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Any chance that you could provide the Make and Model ? or what equipment this board is used in?

Comment

Hello R_J, attached herewith is the photo of the board.

Name:	canon.png
Views:	30
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	3294317
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X