X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clock radio / radio lifespan?

hi
    ive got a modern digital clock radio approx 15yrs old

my question is how long can a clock radio or a simple radio last ss farcas operating hours?

since elec components have limited hour lifecspan i would imagine the radio or clock radio would eventually fail.

the reason i ask is because i have my clock radio on radio function 24/7 for the past 7 years and its still working fine....i leave the radio on ..never turn off past 7years...thats approx 60000 hours

it uses very little power just a few watts i would imagine that may have something to do with it..and also the fact that there are no mechanical moving components while operating....no?

how many hours would you guess the clock radio could last if left on 24/7...another 1year? 5year ? 10year?..or longer?
    Last edited by shelby5041; 09-14-2024, 03:39 AM.

usually these things don't get hot or even warm, and they can last decades. I have some old clock radios that still work from last century that still work fine.
    I figure sometime the electrolytic caps may need to be replaced due to them drying out but don't expect other components to fail as long as there weren't any power surges from lightning storms, etc.

Comment

I echo eccerr0r's statement. I got clocks that are double your clocks age and have done nothing to them.

Comment

decades,
        the only thing that could eventually fail is the display, leds can wear out eventually and lcd displays shouldnt be in direct sun.
        other than that maybe after 10-20 years the cap on the power rail after the transformer may need to be replaced to stop the audio humming.
        these things are super reliable

the things that concern me are white plastics turning yellow and rubber coatings or feet turning to mush.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	EFE5AE14-0A1B-48A9-A9AC-B1CA6327A2D4.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	3461392 Click image for larger version

Name:	CA394558-7125-4C83-A147-07BCA7BC4131.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	3461391 Click image for larger version

Name:	07BC5EAE-057C-4F9F-AEA7-65A0B06B5F10.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	3461390 My watch is made in the USSR and has been working almost continuously since 1979, the vfd indicators are still shining!

Comment

What I find happening is that usually the radio is the first thing not working as it did new the the LED display gets dimmer than it was when new but I have had clock radios for many years without issue

Now I once had a digital clock that would reset the time when power was restored it a very nice feature however the radio took a crap and the time was not restoring correctly any more so it got parted out I still have several of them but I can not find them anywhere anymore what ashamed this is to me I wonder what I use after this I am spoiled from having them for many years now at least 15 years now one of them the radio station drifts sometimes and you have to returned it back to the station you want to listen I just use as a clock now in fact I have two of them this way I still have one that works still very well and this the one we wake up to in morning to get ready for work
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply
            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%
            1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board
            All of these had CAPs POOF
            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Yeah there are some radios that are drifty, and would need a retune...those are annoying. Still work however.

Yeah displays are a weak point but if they were designed properly and driven correctly well below limits, they too can last a very very long time. Improperly designed, all bets are off. I have an old 3½ digit LCD that self-destructed even sitting in the dark unpowered (was connected to a DMM chip like a 7106 and the battery died) along with those displays in cars that likewise self destructed. But on the other hand I still have an LCD in my 20 year old car that's still perfectly fine.

Comment

Yeah I know heat will destroy LCD displays I had several meter modules that had LCD displays and the corners were black and sometimes more than half way down the screen
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

not just heat, UV can slowly destroy the polariser film.
                  if you remember the old game&watch things from nintendo/bandai etc, collectors often have to replace the film on them!

Comment

How many people actually have burned out clock/DMMs here? I am thinking this is the exception rather than the rule?

I have one panel meter, actually it's an evaluation kit, that has it's 3½ digit LCD busted, has some permanently set segments and background is slightly darkened. I also have a few 2-digit LCDs that have segments that simply don't work and they're NOS. I've come across some used radios from cars that had their displays blacked out too.

However I've not had an actual DMM or clock with a failed LCD. Have an old Fluke DMM whose display is still intact though have heard some other models that have failed LCDs. My non-Fluke DMMs (Tenma, Hazard Fraught Tools, BK-Precision, etc.) seem fine too.

Fortunately my DMMs probably live a fairly sheltered life, just don't know why the eval kit DPM failed. Perhaps it was poor assembly, which is also possible.
                    Last edited by eccerr0r; 09-15-2024, 08:05 PM.

Comment

i am lucky, i dont use a meter outdoors so not had the screen mess up.
                      i'v heard of it though - mostly with car repair guys

Comment

Since I have a fairly significant pile of these 2-digit LCDs I might take a few of the partially working ones and put it in the sun to see what it does... I wonder how long it will take before something happens.

Also have a blacklight CFL, germicidal T5, and "UV" LEDs to see what they do to these LCDs... worth an experiment?

Comment

putting one outdoors would be interesting, not sure how the weather will effect it though.

Comment

LCD displays die in the Beckman/Wavetek DMM's. They develop a black blob which spreads and gets worse with time.
                            I think it's a manufacturing defect, there is tin in the LCD fluid and it looks crystalline like whiskers but because it goes across segments etc. it's not the polarizer, I took that off. The displays are made by AND in the 80's and I was going to get a copy/replacement one made to keep these good DMM's going.

Name:	LCD ghost Beckman tech360.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	465.8 KB
ID:	3462545

Name:	LCD display splotches.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	3462546

Name:	LCD display splotches_polarized b2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	3462547

Attached Files
                            Last edited by redwire; 09-16-2024, 12:33 PM.

Comment

My alarm clock is a cube late 1970's Randix with Futaba fluorescent display that still works fine. No MCU, just an AM/FM radio and cassette, with 9V battery backup. I replaced the power supply filter cap at the 40 year mark. The radio is sounding a little distorted lately so more caps might be bad or the transistors getting old. But such a hassle to pull the radio board out with the dial cord and not mess that up. It's gross inside, made in Philippines and wires everywhere.

Comment

Some of these LCD failures may be attributed to pressure on the display which I can't say I never pressed onto the display that failed. But it's not the only non-manufacturing defect possibility. I do recall seeing Beckman LCDs fail in the past too but can't point to what or where I saw, hopefully not the same source :o

I have some NOS LCD displays that are fine too...
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	2lcd1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.8 KB ID:	3462671 Click image for larger version  Name:	312lcd.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.8 KB ID:	3462672 Click image for larger version  Name:	2lcd2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.4 KB ID:	3462673
                                The small 2 digit displays have not gotten worse however. have to see if the 3½ display gets worse or not.

Comment

Name:	2ADBAF04-873B-49D3-B529-83351E399877.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	3462865 I also have a vintage flip clock that still works properly. I bought them at a flea market in Israel for $10. Click image for larger version

Name:	06E387C0-6B2A-45F8-82B4-FA9F45999896.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	3462863
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                                    Some of these LCD failures may be attributed to pressure on the display which I can't say I never pressed onto the display that failed. But it's not the only non-manufacturing defect possibility. I do recall seeing Beckman LCDs fail in the past too but can't point to what or where I saw, hopefully not the same source :o

I have some NOS LCD displays that are fine too...
                                    Click image for larger version Name:	2lcd1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.8 KB ID:	3462671 Click image for larger version Name:	312lcd.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.8 KB ID:	3462672 Click image for larger version Name:	2lcd2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.4 KB ID:	3462673
                                    The small 2 digit displays have not gotten worse however. have to see if the 3½ display gets worse or not.
                                    All of the pictures that you have posted I have seen all of these issues before on LCD displays and like you I am not sure exactly what causes them to get this way

9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

wonder how hard it would be to retrofit those 2-digit displays to work with the 3½ display PCB... probably too much work, alas it would be nice to once again have good contrast between segments that are on and off.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                                        wonder how hard it would be to retrofit those 2-digit displays to work with the 3½ display PCB... probably too much work, alas it would be nice to once again have good contrast between segments that are on and off.
                                        I would think that if uses the same lcd controller it might be possible but who knows for sure unless you do some research into this topic I still have some 3.5 lcd meter modules that I have not used in years and the last time I found them some of displays had some of the same issues with the screen that you mentioned earlier in this post
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                        X