Replacing mini SMD components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing mini SMD components

I had to pull the system controller board out of my Onyx so I could clean the backplane and when I plugged it back in and switched the system on the system controller was giving me a voltage fault and refusing to let the system boot.
    I pulled it out again and found that I had somehow managed to break off half of what appears to me a little transistor. The first part of the markings on it are gone (all I see is a "P") however right next to it are two more transistors marked "1P" and I am guessing that they are the same.
    What do you think?
    Attached Files
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Re: Replacing mini SMD components

seems to be a FMMT2222A fast-switching npn transistor (same as MMBT2222A and PMBT2222A).
    these are pretty common (and been around for ages), so chances are good this is the one.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Well then. I guess I'll have to go to the parts shop and see if the guy has one.
      It should not cost too much.
      Find Nedry!

Comment

easy job and its a penny part.
        up and left of the busted part looks like ringcracked joints.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
          They are not ringcracked. Those are just really big leads for the power brick on the other side.
          Find Nedry!

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
            From the picture they look like trace reinforcing eyelets.

TVs use them on the flyback pins for extra mechanical support since they are so heavy compared to the other components that they could rip the traces right off the board.
            Last edited by Krankshaft; 05-15-2008, 10:28 AM.
            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
              From the picture they look like trace reinforcing eyelets.

TVs use them on the flyback pins for extra mechanical support since they are so heavy compared to the other components that they could rip the traces right off the board.
              Well the power brick on the other side of the board makes up about 95% of the total weight of the board.
              Find Nedry!

Comment

I just want to add in that I went to go pick the transistor up today and he gave me not one but two transistors for free (he told me to keep my money as I'm the first person to come in and dare order such a tiny part).
                It took a little work but it's in place now and it worked. The system controller properly powered on, ran it's diagnostics and then handed control over to the IO4 and the IP25 at which point the graphics subsystem came online and the diagnostics terminal (with my serial POS thermal printer plugged into it) began spewing me bootup info.
                Find Nedry!

Comment

Working...
                X