bad smt caps in icom hm-56a mic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad smt caps in icom hm-56a mic

symptom is going into transmit on power up on a damp day.
    these are both on ic-2410h mobiles but the hm-56a is used on lots of icom rigs.the combination of dampness and leaked cap juice causes the rig to transmit unexpectedly.i cleaned and installed tantalums.

Re: bad smt caps in icom hm-56a mic

I deal with lots of icom mic's.
    I'll be watching out for this now.
    Jim

Comment

As an aside, I look under kc8adu at what looks like antique something.
      What is that old device?
      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by arneson
        As an aside, I look under kc8adu at what looks like antique something.
        What is that old device?
        how old are you?

Comment

Octals ... 6L6GBs? I faintly remember 48-star flags and the Kennedy-Nixon debates.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I'm 50 and remember many styles shapes and sizes of the 6L6 and the 6X6 vacuum tubes. But what is the thing they are on?
            Jim

Comment

they are military spec 6sn7's on a jackson 648s tester.

Comment

A Tube Tester, very retro. I remember when the Rexal drugs had the big help yourself tester. LOL How many of those 6JE6 H output tubes did I buy?
                I learned electronics cause my Dad would pull all the tubes from tv when he didn't want us watching, like Vchip today. LOL
                Jim

Comment

I used the freebie testers in Woolworth and Radio Shack when I partially restored a mid-50s set I got from my aunt. Couldn't do much for the very faint CRT. I made a dipole antenna from some hook-up wire and had a TV in my bedroom.

Got you by about a year, Arneson.
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

It was a huge trauma for me to finally throw away my tube tester, collection of tubes and all the Heathkits I'd built I stillget twangs of remorse.
                    Just to stay on topic,, remember those recievers with the output tubes glowing a bright cherry red, badcaps.
                    Jim

Comment

as a kid i would raid the junk bins on the tube seller er tester at rolls drugstore here in dayton.
                      most were usable.trash day meant a quick scan of the alleys and hauling home radio's tv's ect to fix and sell.a friend who i still work with on this stuff works for dayton waste collection and got the bulk removal addresses that said tv ect.
                      did well fixing these up and selling them.
                      now i repair the tube stuff for collectors.

Comment

That's so funny. You are a kindred spirit, I was right there with you except in Upstate NY.
                        We had Universal Electronics,(might still be around), Lafayette Radio and Electronics,(put away by RShack),Stromberg Carlson,(now GeneralDynamics)of course the two bigguns Kodak and Xerox. Lots of surplus and old stuff.
                        Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X