Benq sw2700pt backlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benq sw2700pt backlight

Looking for help. Need to find this backlight strip, or Need help identifying LED's
    They emit blue light. Nice monitor will become Ewaste if i cant identify these LED's Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-02-05 at 23.56.22(1).jpg
Views:	432
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	3211129 Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-02-05 at 23.56.22.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	3211130

Hi, I have the same monitor and most probably the same issue with failed LEDs. Have you got any luck finding these strips? Also, how do I take the panel apart? I don't even know where to start...
    Thank you for advance!

Comment

I also have this monitor and one LED had gone and taken out one of the series of LED strings there are 4 in total from memory.

I replaced the single failed LED using one I purchased from Mouser. The blue is not of the same colour it seems a brighter wavelength and the LED is slightly bigger along with the soldering PADS on the bottom of it, of which there is only two. The original LED's use three PADS, maybe they are able to change colour depending on what colour scheme the monitor is set to RGB, Adobe RGB etc I am not sure. Anyway here the the three LEDS I considered using:

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDeta...-L128PCB100350
      https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDeta...BJTLPS113A1049
      https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDeta...128BLU10350

I went with the following one in the end as it seemed the best fit for the current requirements, I think if I recall correctly the LED strings are running on 130mA.

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDeta...BJTLPS113A1049

I hope this is of some help. The monitor is back up and running although I noticed that the reflective film/sheet that makes up the display needs replacing as the heat has got to the coating and it is falling off, so I now need to see if I can source or find a replacement for this at some point.

Comment

ISquishWorms, thank you very much for your feedback and the links, I will certainly look it up!
        Although, the replacement LED being of a different wave length seems not very good, since the main feature of this particular monitor is its accurate color rendering...
        How did you know what type of LED to look for? If you say that the original led can possibly change colors, maybe it would be better to look among multicolor LEDS? -
        https://www.mouser.co.uk/c/optoelect...s-multi-color/

Do you have any tips on the display disassembly?
        I've never done anything like that and I'm a bit apprehensive about it...
        Thanks!

Comment

In my case I replaced just a single LED so it does not really have much impact on the colour rendering that being said I would not be surprised if more LED's failed fairly soon as some did not look to be in the best of shape.

I guess once one LED fails then we can expect others to fail in the not too distant future as they have all been subjected to the same heat over the same time frame and it will be the heat that is probably the main cause.

I also decided that if I do end up having to replace more of them and that the colour rendering is out as a result then at least I can still use the monitor and make use of it even if I do not use it for photography editing and end up replacing it. I could have it as a second monitor just for the desktop and looking at things that are not critical when it comes to colour reproduction.

I would not know what exact colour of LED to look for unfortuantly as I would need to know the exact wave length of the existing LED's and I have no way to tell that without something that could measure its wave length. I powered up the LEDS while the monitor was apart and they appeared to be a blue colour so I just went for a blue LED (which is a brighter blue than than the originals it seems). As far as the voltage and current measurements I took readings of those from one of the strings of the LEDS that was still working as there are like 4 groups each consisting of about 20-22 (from memory) LEDS in series. I am not sure if they are multicolour that is a complete guess on my part as I was not able to actually use the monitor while it was apart. I was only able to turn on the LED's so I could not change from RGB to Adobe RGB etc. The driving factors for me when picking an LED replacement was the current/voltage and size they needed to fit as best as possible and be able to handle the required current and voltage and be of a blue colour.

I contacted BENQ when it first failed and asked if they could supply me with the LED strip so that I could replace it but they told me that was something that they could not do. They did offer to give me some money off of a new monitor if I was to send the broken one back to them so maybe if you wanted to go that route it might be worth asking if that is something they would be prepared to do.

Before you disassemble the monitor you have you ever soldered a surface mount LED before and do you have a hot air station? You will need one really to be able to replace a single LED it might be possible with a soldering iron but I would not want to attempt it and it's not recommended. From memory the monitor is held together mainly by clips it is proabably best to watch a few videos of people taking monitors apart on youtube to get a feel of what is involved most are put together in a fairly similar way. The back reflector sheet has like a white coating on it which is very fragile mine is in a bad shape and the coating falls off with the slightest touch, the heat has also got to that over the years, so be careful with the different sheets that make up the LCD. The clips that held the monitor together were quite tough so go slow and be careful or they may break, oh and be super careful of the TCON board connectors if you damage those it is game over. If not sure what these are google or youtube should be able to help, on the back of the screen panel there is a PCB (TCON board) and this is connected directly to the LCD panel via some ribble connectors that are very easily damaged and can not be soldered back if torn or damaged.

I hope that I have not put you off trying should you want to as I think it is good to fix things to save them from being dumped.

Comment

ISquishWorms , thank you very much for such a long and thorough reply!

As I mentioned in the other thread, I found a company that claims to be able to reverse engineer and recreate any LED strip for any display:
            https://www.plazmo.com/collections/led-strips
            Though, I don't know how much it would cost, I'm considering maybe buying a new display panel (for the third of the price of the new monitor) would be a better solution... This is my only monitor and I do use it to edit images, and I'd really like to preserve its color accuracy and prolong its life as much as possible...

As for the soldering work, I have a professional who has all the required equipment and skills and can help me with that, while I'm doind all the disassemble/assemble stuff and sourcing replacement components...

Comment

Sorry about my previous text wall I will try and keep this reply a little shorter. 😁

If you use the monitor a lot and really need the 100% accuracy then a new monitor at a third of the price does sound like it might be the better solution for you, and like you say being new you would hope that it will be more reliable and last longer as well. As I said in a previous post once one LED fails then it is questionable how long the other exisiting LED's will last as they have all been subjected to the same heat over the same time frame. You could replace a single LED put the monitor back together only for another one to fail again in 6 months, replacing the whole strip of LEDS should mitigate that senario but then you need to find a strip of LEDS of the correct wavelength to give you the colour accuracy that you require.

Having said all of that if getting another monitor at a reduced cost does not involve returning your existing monitor you could still open it up and try and fix it depending on how much that will cost you to have someone work on it, then you could use it as a second monitor and save it from being scraped. Failing that maybe sell it as non working on ebay someone will probably purchase it off of you.

Comment

Long posts are absolutely fine if they contain useful detailed information, I meant it as a compliment 100%!

Apparently I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't talking about buying the whole new monitor, but only the replacement LCD panel (without the frame, the electronics and the stand). There are no deals to buy the whole new monitor for the 3rd of the retail price, but that's exactly how much standalone replacement LCD panel costs...
                But before that I want to be sure first, that the PSU's working fine, and also hear from that company wich makes replacement LED strips I mentioned in my previous comment...
                Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Ah ok sorry for the misunderstanding. Hope that you manage to get your monitor up and working again.

Oh and I know you meant it as a compliment but I also know I can type too much at times.

Comment

Working...
                  X