Samsung T240HD backlight never lights, flashlight shows image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung T240HD backlight never lights, flashlight shows image

Samsung T240HD 24" LCD monitor. Backlight never comes on, not even a flash. Flashlight shows menus etc. working fine.

See pictures for measurements I made.

Connected each of the four backlight CCFLs individually to another inverter and they run for a quarter second, then turn off. They seem to be running stably for that quarter second, not just flashing for a brief instant when struck by the inverter. I think that they turn off here because they aren't in the metal case that the inverter is in or don't match the characteristics of the inverter, not because there is something wrong. Regardless, light comes out of them for a noticeable amount of time, which doesn't happen with the T240HD's inverter. In the T240HD there is no flash at all, and no sound like it's trying to strike them either.

I tested the capacitance of the two large 1000uF capacitors on the 15V supply for the inverter section, and they are about their rated 1000uF, so fine there.

Small transformers at corners measure 136 ohms on both sides of each.

Supplies at 9-pin connector measure a tad high: 15.86V for 15V supply, and 5.31V for 5.2V supply. Maybe because backlight isn't running.

Main inverter transformer has two secondaries, both measure 1.042k. It seems to have two primaries, both in parallel (as the SEM2005 datasheet example shows), and <1 ohm resistance.

Dual MOSFET (U202, 4506GEH) has no less than 500K between gates and source/drains (and resistance grows as I hold leads, suggesting capacitors in parallel, not a leaky gate).

The three (clamp?) diodes on either side between the CCFL plugs and SEM2005 circuitry check ~0.5V one way, open the other way.

The SEM2005 (U201, datasheet) gets 15.86V power (pin 10). Enable (pin 11) starts out low, then goes high after a few seconds when power melody plays. The enable line connects to the logic board via a 9.25k resistor (R234). The signal in is 4.78V, and after the resistor, 3.79V to the SEM2005. On the datasheet it shows that pin16 is a 5V reference, but on the chip it measures only 0.56V (I've triple-checked this measurement) and tends to start around 0.46V then climp up to 0.56V. Nothing seems to be connected to the reference, so I wonder whether the chip is fried. The front shows what seems to be heat-related surface changes. With the meter on frequency mode, I don't measure any oscillating signals out of it. POUT (pin 8) is at 15.86V, and NOUT (pin 7) at 0V, so it's not turning the FETs on. This chip is only a few dollars on eBay, but I want to get some indication that it's really bad, and perhaps some indication that nearby circuitry hasn't damaged it.
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung T240HD backlight never lights, flashlight shows image

Checked F301?
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Yeah, F301 is good. It's between U201 and the switching supply, and U201 gets power.

Comment

If Vref is low then yes the inverter IC is bad.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I'm dumbfounded, but it's working now. tl; dr: I did some lengthy soldering on pin 16 of the chip but didn't modify anything, and it works now.

I wanted to be absolutely sure that the Vref pin wasn't connected to something else that was loading it down (it only supplies 10mA), before I ordered a replacement chip. I decided to desolder that lead to isolate it from the PCB. I couldn't get it lifted well and it got shorted with the lead next to it, and heated the chip a whole bunch (I'm terrible with lead-free solder). I examined the PCB more and found that Vref *did* connect to other components (a capacitor, two resistors, and a transistor). Those black lines over the traces made it very hard to follow them visually. I didn't want to leave it shorted so I got the Vref pin back to its pad and eliminated the solder bridge between it and the adjacent pin. I figured I'd be sure I didn't totally ruin the board by powering it on. I heard some buzzing noises from the inverter and thought for sure I had damaged it, because it never made noises before (I didn't have the CCFLs connected at this time). I thought there was a chance it for whatever reason it was actually trying to strike the CCFLs, so I connected them, and bam, they lighted up just fine! I reassembled the monitor and now I have a 1920x1200 monitor on my PC. I forgot to measure Vref just to see what it was with it now working, oh well.

A tip for testing the board with things disassembled, since I couldn't find any way to have everything connected and still access the solder side of the PCB. With the front panel switches and speakers connected, power the monitor on and hear the melody/see the power light steady. Then unplug it. Now you can simply plug power+logic boards into AC and not need it to be connected to the front panel, speakers, or LCD, and it will turn on when you plug it in. This allows you to separate these boards from everything.

Thanks for the ideas based on my initial assessment.

Comment

Haha, it failed after five minutes when I turned it on today (ran for about 12 hours yesterday). Opened it up, at some point it started trying to strike the CCFLs, but the sound wasn't as intense before. 4506GEH (U202) drain is shorted to GND (I isolated it to be sure it wasn't inverter transformer). +15V supply was dropping to 8V when it tried to generate a drive to the transformer, due to this short. $2.00 shipped for a replacement from China (pack of two, so an extra in case I blow second one as well), guess it's worth a shot.

Comment

Parts arrived, I tested new 4506GEH MOSFET combo chip to be sure it was good then replaced old one on the board, and replaced and SEM2005, triple-checked everything, and the monitor is working again. The Vref pin of the new SEM2005 measures 4.98V as datasheet shows it should, so the old one was definitely bad. I avoided running it without the CCFLs connected, as I had done when it failed. I think that might have contributed. SMD stuff really stretches my soldering skills/crappy tools to their limits. Will report back in a week how the fix has held up.
              Last edited by blargg; 09-10-2014, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Good job. Always trust my nose, when it smells a failure in some part, it's definitely going to be that. I screwed myself over several times when ignoring the direction my nose pointed me to.

With time and experience and more repairs, you'll gonna develop such a nose too.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Monitor still working, so I think it's solid. First repair I've done where I actually ordered parts, rather than scrounge something from the junk PCBs I've collected over the years. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                  X