Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spooky2 XM signal generator dead.

Hi,
    Was working fine, but now dead, tried different power supply and still the same.
    No noticeable marks on the circuit board.
    The only possible issue I can think of, was that I wasn't using the switch on the unit to turn it on/off, I was using the wall socket (For a few months), because I thought the switch was getting a bit loose.
    What info do you need to try and troubleshoot?
    TIA

you may have answered your own question.
    lets investigate the switch, how it connects and how it's mounted.

Comment

Thanks, here's a picture.
      Attached Files

Comment

external power - so is the psu good?
        if it is, shoe a picture of the bottom of the board so i can see the tracks from the power inlet

Comment

is it this?
          https://www.spooky2.com/newmodel/

Comment

Bought standard external psu (5v 2A) brand new and tested with multimeter, so pretty sure it's good.
            Yes, that's it.
            Attached Files

Comment

thats very clear tracks
              so plug your psu in and meter the voltage at the switch pins to see if it switches properly.
              you can get ground from the bnc sockets

Comment

From top to bottom, pins 1, 4 & 5 are fluctuating, 2 & 3 are ~5v

Thanks

Comment

now i'm confused, the switch only has 3 pins unless your counting the mounting lugs
                  but it sounds like it's powered,
                  so we need a higher resolution pic of the topside so i can read chip numbers

Comment

That voltage would be correct with the switch in the OFF position, Change the switch to the ON position and you should have +5v on your so called 3 &4 pins
                    The pins 1 and 4 are just the switch mounting and are not part of the spdt switch contacts
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by R_J; 07-06-2024, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Ok, changed switch to ON and I'm getting a fluctuating reading on pin 3. (Yellow arrow)

Comment

put some solder across the switch contacts to force it on.
                        if that works we just need to find a switch with the same pin spacing

Comment

"put some solder across the switch contacts", can you explain please?

Comment

join the yellow and orange arrows in RJ's picture

Comment

Yes that worked, it powers up.

Comment

Take that switch off the board, take it apart, clean it and reassemble. Then test it before you put it back on the board.

Comment

Not confident in doing that, is it a bad idea to permanently connect the two terminals, so that it's always on?

Comment

no problem with that at all

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzy4 View Post
                                      Not confident in doing that, is it a bad idea to permanently connect the two terminals, so that it's always on?
                                      Or just put an external switch and be done with it if you can find the exact replacement switch

9 PC LCD Monitor
                                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                      1 Dell Mother Board
                                      15 Computer Power Supply
                                      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%
                                      1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board
                                      All of these had CAPs POOF
                                      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

So if I wanted to replace the switch, it has to be like-for-like?
                                        Why?

Comment

Working...
                                        X