QNAP TS-469L NAS shutting down randomly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QNAP TS-469L NAS shutting down randomly

I bought this NAS as "turns on then straight back off again". When I received it it had no trouble staying on, just the RAM stick was in the wrong slot so it wouldn't POST. I was hoping that was all that was wrong with it, but it's now started randomly shutting off once a week. When I find it off it will fire straight back up again if I hit power, no need to power cycle. Nothing ever in the logs aside from "the last shutdown was unsafe".

It's got an internal PSU, an FSP250-50LC (which is wildly overkill for the hardware really). The electrolytic caps in the PSU all look OK visually but given its age (about 10y I think) I am wondering if a recap would be a good place to start? No electrolytics on the MB if memory serves. It has an Atom D2700 so not affected by the LPC clock issue.

I've got it on a TP-Link KP105 with a small Python script to reboot it whenever it drops off the network so it's limping along for now, just hoping it doesn't get worse!

Cheers
    Last edited by spleenharvester; 08-31-2024, 08:09 AM.
    Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

try a different psu, and scan the harddrive for smart errors

Comment

New PSU is on the way, HDDs are definitely OK.

I saw it actually fail today, it was unreachable on LAN for about a minute but LEDs still suggested normal operation, then everything shut off. I am starting to wonder if RAM might be faulty.

Comment

Update, it got worse to the point it was shutting down every few hours. I've since replaced the PSU with one from a TS-453 and it seems to have fixed the problem, over a week now without a shutdown.

Comment

You need to take a close look at this power supply for what is going on with it
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply
          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%
          1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board
          All of these had CAPs POOF
          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I think I am just going to throw it in the bin, lol. New used one was £25, I imagine it would be a hiding to nothing trying to fix the old one when there's nothing visually wrong with it.

Two weeks now with no shutdowns despite heavy loads so seems to be fixed.

Comment

Working...
            X