Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asus X53U: Instantly Cuts Off

Originally posted by fddizon View Post
    check pc222 and all caps along that line... doyou see it? pc222 line going down maybe more parts along that line

can u post the schematic?
    Its in PDF. Can I do that? But here is a bigger picture:

EDIT:

PC222: No caps reading. Is that cap bad?

Also, pin 2 of pl202 is still short to ground.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by speedypro; 07-17-2013, 08:12 AM.
    Full-time computer repair tech (10am - 6pm) and full-time, (8am - 11pm), Ruby on Rails Developer

Comment

remove pr217 and retest
      still short?
      find +APU_CORE_NB
      short gone, proceed - check PC 223
      if pc223 ok, follow that line
      Last edited by fddizon; 07-17-2013, 12:54 PM.

Comment

find +APU_CORE_NB
        Now that is the part I cannot locate. What is that?
        Full-time computer repair tech (10am - 6pm) and full-time, (8am - 11pm), Ruby on Rails Developer

Comment

When you say pin 2 is short, are you saying short= zero ohms?
          If there are more than 1 ohm, then 99 per cent sure the circuit is good.
          These low ohms is due to the high amperage the circuit eats.

Comment

Originally posted by speedypro View Post
            Now that is the part I cannot locate. What is that?
            just use adobe readers find bro. press ctrl + f then type this +APU_CORE_NB

press enter until you find what are you looking for with the schematic

regards

Comment

Originally posted by Francisco.s View Post
              When you say pin 2 is short, are you saying short= zero ohms?
              No. I mean when tested to ground.

just use adobe readers find bro. press ctrl + f then type this +APU_CORE_NB

press enter until you find what are you looking for with the schematic

regards
              That shows nothing. Does not show the source. I have attached the schematic.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by speedypro; 07-19-2013, 05:14 AM.

Comment

To partially wrap things up, I have removed the CPU, since that is the APU. On removing and testing the + side of the cap (PC218) or PL202 to ground, there is no more sort so it's clear that a reball of the CPU is needed. I'll confirm within two weeks as we need the EME450GBB22GV reballing stencil from e-best.

When I say short, I mean setting the multimeter to diode or continuous; like testing a fuse.

Many thanks for all the effort and support guys.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by speedypro; 07-19-2013, 10:25 AM.

Comment

When I say short, I mean setting the multimeter to diode or continuous; like testing a fuse.
                  You must set the multimeter to ohms, then probably you can read 4 or more ohms, what is perfectly right.

Comment

I did set it to ohms setting and it read 0.2 ohms. I haven't tested in ohms setting while cpu chip was off. I'll see what it reads tomorrow at work.

Comment

Originally posted by speedypro View Post
                      I did set it to ohms setting and it read 0.2 ohms. I haven't tested in ohms setting while cpu chip was off. I'll see what it reads tomorrow at work.
                      No doubt, there is a short-circuit.

Comment

While cpu chip is still off, all coils now have high values in Ω so it's perfectly clear that the cpu was the culprit. I'll update when I receive the stencil for the reball.

Comment

Measure all caps on top of the APU chip before attempting to reball it, the chip could be dead. If any read short (under 1 ohm), the chip is busted.

I used to have one of those APUs on my keychain until it broke and fell off - it was dead short. Came from a Sony Vaio that took a very heavy fall, and there was no plastic foil between the sides of the chip. Due to the impact, the heatsink hit the caps and shorted them out while the laptop was running, and killed the chip.
                          Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 07-21-2013, 08:19 AM.
                          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                            Measure all caps on top of the APU chip before attempting to reball it, the chip could be dead. If any read short (under 1 ohm), the chip is busted.

I used to have one of those APUs on my keychain until it broke and fell off - it was dead short. Came from a Sony Vaio that took a very heavy fall, and there was no plastic foil between the sides of the chip. Due to the impact, the heatsink hit the caps and shorted them out while the laptop was running, and killed the chip.
                            Good tip!! I'll test them tomorrow at work Good thing I'd placed an order for the chip aswel as the stencil

Comment

Sorry for the late update. CPU reballed did the trick. Laptop now works.

Comment

congratulations speedypro!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X