Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got me a ThinkPad

Couple questions:
    1. The version of this computer with nVidia graphics (mine has the Intel), came with a 1440x900 screen rather than 1280x800 (like mine). Can I simply upgrade to the higher resolution screen? I'm sure I can get one for cheap at work.
    2. Ubuntu on 32GB SSD OK? (I'd swap the drives - 160 HDD in my HTPC and 32GB SSD in the Lenovo)...

http://tech.woot.com/offers/lenovo-t...re-i5-laptop-1

My thought is I can carry this back and forth from work without being afraid of getting it stolen from me. And, my favorite laptop has still my ThinkPad X31 (except it was a slow piece of shit)... This one's much better. Oh, and thanks to the variety of ports, and having a disc drive, it will be great for the more on site jobs I'll be doing soon.
    Last edited by shovenose; 12-29-2013, 11:22 PM.

Re: Got me a ThinkPad

lucky!
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16:10
      I'd love 1440x900, 1680x1050, or 1920x1200. 1440x900 is easy enough to find. Does anybody know any compatible panels at the higher resolutions?

Comment

You should just be able to swap the panel if you can get one with a better resolution.

The T410 is a nice laptop. 3 button trackpoint and everything
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

1440x900 is readily available no problem. Bu where do I get higher res compatible panels?

Comment

don`ta working notebook

you will always get
            Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
              don`ta working notebook

you will always get
              i learned that the hard way (you cant get replacement HDD cables for a Compaq presario CQ57) and he will too.........
              Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                1440x900 is readily available no problem. Bu where do I get higher res compatible panels?
                Anything the same size with the same aspect ratio -should- be compatible. The only thing that may make it incompatible is of the connector is in the wrong position.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                  Couple questions:
                  1. The version of this computer with nVidia graphics (mine has the Intel), came with a 1440x900 screen rather than 1280x800 (like mine). Can I simply upgrade to the higher resolution screen? I'm sure I can get one for cheap at work.
                  Been there, done that. Worked without any issues.

Comment

I got the 410I with intel using 1440x900 - as I understand it there are problems with these led screens according to my service center.

Had to replace my screen.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                      Anything the same size with the same aspect ratio -should- be compatible. The only thing that may make it incompatible is of the connector is in the wrong position.
                      Is there such thing as a DVI laptop monitor and a VGA laptop monitor? Like, if I get a higher resolution one it'll have a different connector?

Also, should I worry about backlighting or are they all the same CCFL or all the same LED?

Comment

I can't find any higher resolution easily.
                        Is this one compatible? It's nice and cheap:
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-14-1-WXG...item258685ed34
                        All the screens I find when I search "Thinkpad T410 LCD" are much, much pricier.

Comment

The b141pw04 have different connectors, some b141pw04 have 30,40 or 50 pin connectors.

The Dell won't fit at least they did not on my laptop, I don't remember but I think I ordered a monitor with 40 pin connector.

You should take out the screen and see if you have a 40 pin connector, even though you find a screen size with the same aspect ratio if might not be compatible.
                          Last edited by Gabriel; 01-02-2014, 12:48 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

Do they make adapters?

Comment

The problem with that Dell screen is the backlight. It's CCFL, you need one with an LED backlight, as your ThinkPad won't have the extra power connector or an inverter for a CCFL backlight. Just pay the extra and get one that's actually advertised as being compatible. Basically, any higher res screen for a newer laptop is gonna be much more expensive than that.

EDIT: Something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-for-IBM-Le...item3cd5fb5b08 would do. It's still fairly cheap for what it is (At least by Australian standards).

Personally, I would be trying to swap it for a 1366x768 screen. I would struggle to read it if it's any higher than that at 14". My ThinkPad T61 is only 1024x768, and that's perfect for a 14" IMO
                              Last edited by c_hegge; 01-03-2014, 04:48 AM.

Comment

My Asus laptop is 15.6" 1920x1080. It is great like that and it is why I purchased it.

1440x900 is slightly better than the lamesauce 1366x768. Again, I'd love 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 on this 14" laptop but I can't find the panels.

1366x768 wouldn't work because it's 16:9 this laptop takes 16:10 panels.
                                I was under the impression the T410 wants CCFL and NOT the LED backlight??

I know this screen is not right but this is about how much I'm used to paying for screens that we order at work for customer laptop LCD repairs:
                                http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Inspiro...item1c31b830fc
                                That's why I think $100 is outrageous. It is less outrageous than some of the others but still a lot.
                                Last edited by shovenose; 01-03-2014, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Nope, it's way too new for CCFL. Just about everything from C2D onwards used LED backlighting. If you think $100 is outrageous, try $170. That's what you would pay for it in this country.

Comment

Oops, accidentally reported post instead of replying.

Comment

Well, since these screens have a high failure rate I did not want to buy a used or low quality screen so I payed 250$ US for a brand new one .. .. with warranty.
                                      Some users say the screen problem has come back even with a new panel.

I did not replace the cable so I guess my cable is perfectly fine and only the panel was defect.

Youtube

Lenovo community

Trust me like - just like c_hegge says you have to pay around 170 and up for these.

There are no 30,40 or 50 pins adapters that I know of.

Comment

So, I'm not goign to pay $150-200 for a screen. Ridiculous.
                                        This 1280x800 screen that came with it really is a piece of shit. I love this laptop, though. I've been using it every day since I got it. I probably already put more hours on it than it had when I got it. LOL! But if I buy one of those expensive screens I may as well just have bought a new laptop, but I already have a perfectly good now laptop...

Comment

Working...
                                        X