Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead Dell Inspiron 14r N4010 (Used to beeps 3 times but no longer do)

Collapse
This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any method to confirm a dead PCH or SuperIO.

Comment

Damn, I still have no idea how to diagnose a dead PCH or a dead SuperIO 🥲. Any expert to give me some advices. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Its too early to jump to a conclusion. you've notfollowed the basic troubleshooting procedure and jumped the gun. Wiser to stick to basics.
        Meaure resistance to GND on all coils
        Measure voltage on all coils .

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
          Its too early to jump to a conclusion. you've notfollowed the basic troubleshooting procedure and jumped the gun. Wiser to stick to basics.
          Meaure resistance to GND on all coils
          Measure voltage on all coils .
          No coil is shorted to the ground. The readings are
          PL3: 0.7V 0.7V
          PL4: 0.7V 0.7V
          PL7: 0.8V 0.8V
          PL10: 0.76V 0.7V
          PL8: 0.78V 0.79V
          PL6 (This one gets warm): 0.76V 0.77V
          PL11: 0.8V 0.8V
          PL9: 0.76V 0.71V
          PL5: 0.65V 0.65V

Comment

The posted values are the voltage to ground only. Do share the resistance to ground values as well.

Meter in resistance (lowest) scale. No power to the board. One meter probe on the coil to test (either side is ok); other meter probe to ground. Post the resistance in ohms for each.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
              The posted values are the voltage to ground only. Do share the resistance to ground values as well.

Meter in resistance (lowest) scale. No power to the board. One meter probe on the coil to test (either side is ok); other meter probe to ground. Post the resistance in ohms for each.
              Yeah I measured it all, none was below one, the lowest one is 20 ohms which to my knowledge is not a short. can you instruct me the correct way to measure the voltage on the coils. Thank you a lot!

Comment

Almost the same method. Meter in dc volts scale.

Black meter probe to ground. Shield is ok.

Red meter probe to coil / inductor to test. Apply power to the board if testing voltage to ground.

Comment

Red meter probe to coil / inductor to test. Apply power to the board if testing voltage to ground.
                  Damn, I think I have to get a new multimeter lol, mine is a Borbede 668E, it doesnt let me choose which mode to use though. It's late here in Vietnam so see you tomorrow and see whether I could get my hand on a new multimeter on hand. Good night!

Comment

See attached. The 2nd from the top setting = DC volts mode.

Click image for larger version

Name:	meter_mode.png
Views:	48
Size:	710.6 KB
ID:	3271488

Comment

See attached. The 2nd from the top setting = DC volts mode.

Click image for larger version

Name:	meter_mode.png
Views:	48
Size:	710.6 KB
ID:	3271488
                      Thanks for investing your time into this post, I appreciate it a lot. I assume it auto switch to the mode without any input from the user though, i don't how to manually switch to the DC Voltage mode, the manual is lost.

Comment

Do you switch the modes using the switch where you can see the finger? (LEFT side of the pic and where I drew the arrow)

Will download the user manual later and confirm the same.

Comment

3:44 in this video

How to use Clamp Meter to test Amp Voltage Resistor Capacitor Diode LED | Borbede 668E (youtube.com)

Comment

You're a goddamn legend, your video is a godsend, you taught me how to use that multimeter without even having it on hand. You really went through all the hassle to send me that video. It's really late now so I'll give you my most sincere thank you and see you tomorrow. Good night!

Comment

OK so charger plugged in, meter in DC Voltage mode, only PL11 coil shows me a reading with 3.3V both pin.

Comment

Measure again the voltage to ground of each pin on mosfet PQ20 - check 1-2-3 (source); check 4 (gate); check 5-6-7-8 (drain).

Comment

Measure again the voltage to ground of each pin on mosfet PQ20 - check 1-2-3 (source); check 4 (gate); check 5-6-7-8 (drain).
                                  Oh yeah the PL10 gave me inconsistent reading, peak was 1.6V and it keeps dropping.
                                  PQ20 readings:
                                  Pin 1,2,3,5,6,7,8: 19.44V
                                  Pin 4: 1.752V

Comment

This confirms that PQ20 is being enabled and the main power rail is receiving the proper voltage from the power adapter.

Remove all power. Meter now in resistance mode. Short the meter probes and the measurement should be ~ 0 ohms.

Connect one meter probe to mosfet PQ20 pin 1-2-3 and other probe to any inductor on the board.

If you have a low resistance, then stop and note the location. A low resistance means the high side mosfet has leaked and probably caused damage.

Check the inductors near the CPU and other regions.

Comment

This confirms that PQ20 is being enabled and the main power rail is receiving the proper voltage from the power adapter.

Remove all power. Meter now in resistance mode. Short the meter probes and the measurement should be ~ 0 ohms.

Connect one meter probe to mosfet PQ20 pin 1-2-3 and other probe to any inductor on the board.

If you have a low resistance, then stop and note the location. A low resistance means the high side mosfet has leaked and probably caused damage.

Check the inductors near the CPU and other regions.
                                      Check the resistance from pin 1 2 3 of the PQ20 mosfet to all the inductors and there is no short so I assume the Mosfet is perfectly fine isn't it. By this time it should be midnight for you so see you tomorrow and Good night!

Comment

PQ19,pin3 voltage?
                                        RUN_ON present after pressing power button?
                                        RSMRST# present?

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                                          PQ19,pin3 voltage?
                                          RUN_ON present after pressing power button?
                                          RSMRST# present?
                                          I'm very very sorry for taking so long to respond. Here's the readings:
                                          RUN_ON when not pressing power button: 4.33V
                                          When pressed: 0V
                                          PQ_19: Pin 1: 11.66V
                                          Pin 2: 13.86V
                                          Pin 3: 0V
                                          RMSRT#: 1.43V

Comment

Working...
                                          X