No announcement yet.

Hp pavilion 14 - No display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this is why the computer won't turn on? Are you sure this is the source of the problem? Can I measure it somehow?

Comment

Certainly do wait for feedback from other techs but to me, this IC is defective. It is deformity that is not present on a normal IC and often indicates that a transient went through this device -> caused internal damage to the semiconductor die and the same pressure caused the packaging to bubble up. Also, moisture combined with rapid heat can also cause such micro cracks / bubbles which in the PCB production world is named as 'popcorning'. This is a key reason that parts are gently baked before mounting through SMD ovens and that is to draw out or bake out the moisture.

Can also be caused by reflowing with a hot air tool with too high of a temp and heating of the component at a too high rate. The moisture expands on the inside and as no escape.

What is Popcorn Effect in PCBA Process (pcbonline.com)

Comment

Hi..
        That can't be a popcorn effect as there is no BGA die on a substrate, the popcorn name refers i guess to the tin balls that pops out the side glue between substrate and bga die..

to the O.P., scratch it away and see if a hole remains or is only a rosin drop.. bye
        Last edited by Davi.p; 06-01-2024, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the responses so far. I scraped it, and I don't see a hole anywhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240602_100439.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	3282459

Name:	20240602_101607.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	3282460

Comment

Post#17 indicates ,you've missing enables(PM_SLP_S3/PM_SLP_S5). These enables will come from PCH. Check the SIO for short as mon2 has suggested(both these enables will go to SIO also).

Comment

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, I am not very skilled, especially when it comes to SIO chips. Where should I look for the short circuit? On which components or which pins on SIO?

Comment

Edit: I injected 1.2V into the PL8300 inductor, and nothing really heated up.

Comment

Has it got a double chip cpu with integrated graphics? I suspect bad bga, try hard freezing it,.maybe in the freezer in a bag and then test it when frozen..

Comment

Thank you for the idea, to be honest, I'm not sure how well this might work, I will wait for someone response because the 1.2V RAM line is still missing, and I have no idea what to do next. ( It has integrated graphics, yea )

Comment

Here's a little status update: I got a 135W charger, but unfortunately, the 1.2V for the RAM is still missing.
                      What else should I try experimenting with? Where should I inject the voltage? The 1.2V is missing at RAM IC controller.
                      Would replacing the SIO chip solve the problem?

Comment

Check PL8400 voltage and resistance to GND please
                        FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

PL8400
                          2.8 ohm to gnd
                          1.8V power on state

Name:	fggffgfgfgfg.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	3312833

Comment

You realized that 2.8 Ohms is a partial short-circuit on the 1.8V rail?
                            FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

I thought that low resistance was acceptable on low voltage lines.
                              What does it mean if the 1.8V line is shorted? What should be done?"

Comment

The Classic 1.8VALW is supposed to read in KiloOhms.

Voltage injection is the next logical step.
                                FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Will injecting 1V and say 2-5A into the 1.8V line be sufficient?

Thanks for the tip, by the way.

Comment

1 Volt is a good starting voltage. The taken current will tell us whether we have to raise the voltage or not.

Good luck
                                    FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

PL8400
                                      On 1V taking 0.4A

Should I raise the voltage?

Comment

If you have a thermal camera there might already something to spot.

And don't forget to remove the heatsink and to clean the CPU/PCH BGA package, since the PCH is a suspect too.

If you can't feel anything you're allowed to raise the voltage to 1.8 Volts max(!).
                                        FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

I checked at 1V and nothing was heating up at all, not even at 1.8V. However, after a few minutes, there was a slight warmth coming from the processor, but nothing serious. What should I do now?

On 1.8V taking 0.69-0.73A

Comment

Working...
                                          X