macbook A2918, orange light off when shut off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

macbook A2918, orange light off when shut off

When i fully shut off mac, orange light goes off and wont react to power button. I have difficult time resetting with combination "shift+control+option and power button", because it rarely works (reason unknown), when i manage to get orange light and then press power button macbook wont turn on and orange light goes off. When i hold combination with power button it turns on, and works fine if put it to sleep mode.

Works with battery and charges, but when i shut off i get this problem.

It had liquid spill. Board has no corrosion, keyboard is working, power button and fingerprint is working, but angle sensor is gone - so i removed it. It worked fine till this day.

Last edited by mosfetratus; 05-31-2024, 03:49 AM.

Apple silicon only resets by pressing power button for about 10 seconds. Such a noob. But still i get this problem and discovered an anomaly on the board. So i guess this component was semi alive and i got some lucky resets.

Voltage goes from from 1.2 to 5V in random values.

Photo shows highlighted components. Need second opinion, i'm a hobbyist.

Can't find any info about this component
    5302 t34 cw

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mosfetratus; 06-12-2024, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Cannot find a schematic in my database for this logic board.

Share side view pics of this '5302' marked part. They may be mosfets.

5302 mosfet - Google Search

Comment

Measured voltage on caps before that component - color green. Solid 5.18V.
        Attached Files

Comment

cant edit previous post to add image
          Attached Files

Comment

The parts with the 5302 markings are mosfets.

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infine...53561b58dc1ec3

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
              The parts with the 5302 markings are mosfets.

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infine...53561b58dc1ec3
              the look like AONE36196
              Attached Files

Comment

https://www.vishay.com/docs/62055/sizf5302dt.pdf

it looks like sw pins are getting random voltage if the design is the same, so likely mosfet is not the problem. I found other places with random voltage.

Attached Files

Comment

found two DC - DC converters - https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps62130.pdf

one spits out 1V to 5V garbage, other is no output, maybe system needs to be fully on.

Cannot trace out connection to where it goes when disconnected from power supply, i get megaohms.

Attached Files

Comment

removed the chip, turned out clock was bad - pin 7, voltage goes random, dont have scope for proper analysis. Now im lost. Still get random voltage on that mosfet and on some other parts of the board.

Attached Files

Comment

noticed that pros using usb C device to measure voltage, etc.

so bought one. Maybe someone will tell some pointers by watching at these results.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The 5 volts is a power on default voltage and the board is drawing ~57 mA which is an extremely low current draw. The boards usually communicate with the power adapter over the CCx pins on the type C connector and negotiate a 20V PD contract from the power adapter. It is possible that you have a defective CCx pin due to an ESD event.

Power down -> rotate the adapter power head by 180 degrees and then insert onto the type C paddle board. This process will then mate the other half of the type C connector circuits. Still the same voltage / current draw?

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                          The 5 volts is a power on default voltage and the board is drawing ~57 mA which is an extremely low current draw. The boards usually communicate with the power adapter over the CCx pins on the type C connector and negotiate a 20V PD contract from the power adapter. It is possible that you have a defective CCx pin due to an ESD event.

Power down -> rotate the adapter power head by 180 degrees and then insert onto the type C paddle board. This process will then mate the other half of the type C connector circuits. Still the same voltage / current draw?
                          recently this laptop had a strange behavior. When shut off charger would go off - no light, and mac won't react to power button. But trackpad is still clickable. So i hold power button to reset, trackpad no longer clicks, still couldn't boot afterwards. Sometimes it worked correctly, power on when charger is connected, etc.

Laptop had a soft drink spill, luckily keyboard is still working, power button and touch id too. Only angle sensors is reporting screen always closed so i removed it. On the board i found only 1 spot with liquid damage. Laptop worked for a month or so then started to misbehave. For some time power button reset worked until it didn't. At some random times it worked.

And usb C worked fine, because i had adapter to connect regular USB HDD
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by mosfetratus; 06-18-2024, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X