• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55 no HDMI output.

Hello, forum people.

I have an Acer Nitro 5
    Model Number: AN515-55 Part Number: NH.Q7NSI.001
    Motherboard: Compal GH51M LA-K861P Rev 1A with 1650 Ti graphics.

My laptop was working fine until I made a grave mistake of changing the thermal pad and paste because my laptop was getting old and pretty hot. After changing and successfully testing temperatures, I was shocked when I tried to connect my external display, a 1440p 75Hz monitor, to it. My display never showed up; it always said 'no signal.' I tried swapping the HDMI cable, using both source 1 and 2 on my monitor, also tried connecting my laptop to a smart TV, but to no avail - still no signal. I also tried reflowing hdmi ports because i saw some detached pins.

I have attached some close-up pictures of my motherboard's HDMI port and signaling chip, the 'Parade PS8409A A2.' Can someone guide me through the steps of what to check? I know I could easily get it fixed by technicians, but I do enjoy learning new things and improving myself.
    Attached Files

My suggestion is to flux and use a traditional soldering iron to flood the through hole connector pins for this HDMI connector. Do review the front face of the same HDMI connector to check if there is any damage.

Is the Parade IC getting warmer than usual? It takes only a single missing signal to raise the fault you are observing from the HDMI interface.

Consider to remove all power -> meter in DIODE mode -> short your meter probes and you should hear a tone beep -> then perform a point to HDMI connector through hole pad continuity testing from the Parade controller to the sink HDMI connector. Compare against the schematics.

Comment

Does it work on some angles? Is the port moving out of position when you bend the cable up and down? What mon2 said is correct, "traditional soldering iron to flood the through hole connector pins for this HDMI connector".

Comment

Thank you, mon2 and sikocan, for your reply. Yes, sikocan, I did try wiggling the HDMI cable slowly in and out at different angles, but unfortunately, it didn't work. I will try the above solutions and update you. 🙂
        Last edited by Jayanta; 06-17-2024, 09:12 AM. Reason: removed an extra "n"

Comment

HDMI port dont work on some boards unless it goes to windows and/or internal screen is connected. Specially faced this on gaming boards where hdmi dont work unless you connect the internal screen.

Comment

Based on my experience with a AN515-52, the hdmi did not work until a proper LVDS is connected, and picture is working on HDMI only when windows is reached.
            Did you remove the battery and adapter first prior to any working (like on LVDS connector ?

Comment

thankyou mcplslg123 and titomno2 for your responses! But, my laptop's internal display is working perfectly, Its just the HDMI which isn't outputting anything.

Comment

Originally posted by titomno2 View Post
                Based on my experience with a AN515-52, the hdmi did not work until a proper LVDS is connected, and picture is working on HDMI only when windows is reached.
                Did you remove the battery and adapter first prior to any working (like on LVDS connector ?
                Yes, battery and power was disconnected before opening/disconnecting any cables.

Comment

Hi Jayanta, I just finished a repair on AN515-52, and HDMI was unresponsive until I install the Nvidia graphic driver, without that no picture at all.
                  Just to check, have you any yellow mark under device manager for the 1650ti nvidia graphic part ?
                  We need to check that all software is working as it should. And try to reinstall the driver just in case that some update may have triggered the issue before touching the hardware more.
                  I saw that between intel and amd platform the way hdmi is managed are quite different!

Comment

Originally posted by titomno2 View Post
                    Hi Jayanta, I just finished a repair on AN515-52, and HDMI was unresponsive until I install the Nvidia graphic driver, without that no picture at all.
                    Just to check, have you any yellow mark under device manager for the 1650ti nvidia graphic part ?
                    We need to check that all software is working as it should. And try to reinstall the driver just in case that some update may have triggered the issue before touching the hardware more.
                    I saw that between intel and amd platform the way hdmi is managed are quite different!
                    thankyou titomno2 for replying and No, i have the latest nvidia drivers installed and no "yellow mark" on device manager see attached "pic" I am inclining on trying mon2 and sikocan 's suggestion on reflowing solder joints and mutimeter's diode mode. As I am on a tight schedule (Work) I may try the above during weekends. 😊
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X