This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook Air 13" 2020 A2179 Audio Board

Hey all! I have a MacBook Air 13" 2020 A2179 that won't switch on with the audio board connected so before just replacing it outright I took a quick look and found a cracked cap and short. Removed the cap and the short has gone so want to replace the cap to see if we can use this audio board still.

TL;DR Anyone know the value of the cap circled in red in the attached picture?
    Attached Files
  • Answer selected by tccyo22 at 07-30-2024, 02:52 AM.

I desoldered it and it was 22 microfarats

Comment

I'm sitting there measuring it because there's no diagram for it, only Boardview! as I understand it, 284 microfarads and about 4 megaohms

Comment

Originally posted by PITERPENY View Post
        I'm sitting there measuring it because there's no diagram for it, only Boardview! as I understand it, 284 microfarads and about 4 megaohms
        Thank you!

Comment

284 uF sounds high for a SMD part of this physical size. The best request is to desolder this part with care and measure it directly after it is cool. Respectively, this capacitor is probably in parallel with others and the collective capacitance is ~284 uF.

Alternatively - you can remove the defective part if it is still onboard -> measure the capacitance of this cluster of caps without this component. Then knowing that the final capacitance is ~284 uF, you can use a parallel capacitance calculator (online) to determine the missing capacitor's capacitance. These are bulk caps so not super critical but good to have for closure.
          Last edited by mon2; 07-24-2024, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Having ICs in parallel with capacitors can also mess with the readings in unpredictable ways. Capacitors must be measured out of circuit (just rotating them off one pad is fine so that it doesn't fly away).
            OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

I desoldered it and it was 22 microfarats

Comment

Thanks PITERPENY.

Comment

Working...
                X