Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell G15 ryzen edition black screen 2 amber 1 white

Hello,
    I have a Dell G15 ryzen edition (ryzen 5) that turns on but won't post, black screen, keyboard lights on, caps lock led on, fans turns and the battery indicating light is showing 2amber and 1 white according to dell website it's a cpu failure, but i tried few basic things before i open it up i tested the screen by pressing the d button before powering it up but it didn't show anything i tried the ctrl+esc for bios recovery but still black screen i tried refreshing the screen, i plugged it on an external monitor but same thing. Next step i unplugged the battery and kept pressing the power button for 1minute and reconnected the battery but it didn't work so i grabbed the multimeter and checked the main power rail and the 19V is present (no short to ground) the 5V rail and the 3V rails are present too then i went into resistance mode i measured all the cpu vrm coils to ground, 4 coils read 5ohms the other one read 9ohm which i believe is right? now for the gpu vrm coils all 4 coils measure 0.4ohm to ground (0.2ohm the resistance of the probes) the gpu is GN-20-P0-A1 which i believe is too low but i'm not sure,
    the main bios voltage (winbond 25Q16JWSIQ) is missing on pin8 and from all other pins, the ec bios voltage (winbond 74M12JWSIQ) on pin8 is 0.352V.
    When i power it on i get voltages on the cpu and it gets warm too but not on the gpu.
    It's kinda confusing because according to the battery indicator code it's a cpu failure but i get no voltage on the main bios and a very low reading on the gpu vrm coils so what is causing the problem cpu, gpu or could it be a corrupt bios?

motherboard is LA-K454P Rev: 1.0(A00)

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubl...ines#post79043
    When requesting help, please attach a picture of the board with resistance to ground measurements (no AC adapter/battery) and voltage measurements after triggering power button (with AC adapter) on all the large inductors .
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubl...61#post1459061
    GPU VCore with newer NVidia GPU can even measure less than 1 ohm. It's normal.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Here are the pictures with resistance to ground readings and voltage after power on for all the coils it might interest anyone with same board looking for these readings
      Click image for larger version

Name:	LA-K454P Rev 1.0 (A00) Face A.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	7.61 MB
ID:	3315450 Click image for larger version

Name:	LA-K454P Rev 1.0 (A00) Face B.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	8.95 MB
ID:	3315451
      piernov
      "GPU VCore with newer NVidia GPU can even measure less than 1 ohm. It's normal"

yes i had my doubt about the gpu reading so at least the gpu might not be the issue

Comment

25Q16=2MB so it cant be the main bios. Main bios should be atleast 8MB or may be 16MB.
        GPU resistance to GND seems fine but the issue at hand is GPU is not powered at all.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
          25Q16=2MB so it cant be the main bios. Main bios should be atleast 8MB or may be 16MB.
          GPU resistance to GND seems fine but the issue at hand is GPU is not powered at all.
          yes indeed i was mistaken the main bios is winbond 74M12JWSIQ after reading some topics related to it, it is identified as W25Q128FW [1.8V] so my main concern is that when powering on the laptop i should get 1.8v on pin8 of the bios also maybe for the gpu to get voltage the bios must post first?
          So before desoldering the bios chip and program it should i check something else?

Comment

I modified the original bios 1.20.0 that i extraced from the dell website and flashed it now its working again

Comment

Working...
            X