HP ZD8000 Notebook will not turn on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP ZD8000 Notebook will not turn on

Have a hp ZD8000 notebook that when powered on the lights light, two of the three fans start for about 2 seconds, then shuts down and tries to restart. Will constantly cycle and if you hold power button will not turn off. You have to remove power cord to shut it down. So I figured motherboard was bad so I replaced the motherboard with one from ebay guarenteed to be good. The new motherboard does the exact same thing. Anyone have any ideas?

Re: HP ZD8000 Notebook will not turn on

Check usb's for damage

Comment

Have you tried different cpu?

Comment

Originally posted by cyberhack View Post
        Check usb's for damage
        The original board has 3 usb and they are all perfect. The replacement board had one that the plastic separator was missing but the pins were fine. There is one that is on a small separate card which I will disconnect and try when I open it up again. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by lezsimply View Post
          Not yet because it shuts down before the mb splash screen but as a last resort I will try that too. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lezsimply View Post
            Just to follow up, it turned out to be the cpu and the ram. It may have over heated because there was a lot of junk between the fan and cooling fins on all three fans. Thank you for all your inputs.

Comment

good to know

Comment

Hello,

I have the same laptop for repair with nearly the same problem. Turns on for 1-2 secs. Led lights turn on but then shutdown. You can power it on immediately afterwards. I am guessing cpu is faulty but it is a "bit" old (pentium 4). From your experience is it worthy to order a cpu for it or search for motherboard?

Thanks

Comment

does it still turn off when cpu is removed? check for heating components

Comment

thanks for your reply.
                    Without cpu the led lights turn off faster 1/2 sec I can tell.
                    I have already checked for usb ports, for some shorts, and the cmos battery.

Comment

Working...
                    X