820-00875 SSD not recognize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

820-00875 SSD not recognize

Hi, the pc does not recognize my SSD, I was testing Volt and the SMC_OOB1_D2R_L, and gives 0.03v approx, and it should provide 3.3v I think, what can be the problem? maybe is the resistance (R86101) I cant test it with my multimeter too small, but I don't think that would do the V go to 0.3v, and SMC_OOB1_D2R_L has continuity with the test point. I think all other pins are okay.

Link to schematic/boardview --> https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubl...c-and-boarview
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 09-23-2024, 02:02 PM. Reason: link

Also before the SSD problem the pc auto shutdown in random times.

Comment

is not the resistance, if not ssd is connected the resistance is100k, if yes is 8k omh

Comment

Have you tried another SSD? Apple drives for A1708 fail pretty regularly.

Comment

No, is a custom size and the disk here cost like a new board, but i don't think is the SSD because SMC_OOB1_D2R_L is 0V, also the PC before the SSD problem, was working but would shut down at random times (connected and not connected)

Comment

if 1708 does not see the SSD 99% problem with the SSD as reformat says! I have a lot of them lying around! as an option try it on a good board ...

Comment

Thanks, is there any method to know if is the SSD or the board with multimeter ? because I don't have a good board or another ssd to try

Comment

A technician said that it was the board (maybe not true). what about the MacBook SSD adapter? (because is cheap and I have SSD nvme)

Comment

Confirm that each of the highlighted AC caps are present on the board. Confirm the EMI filter for the PCIe clock is present on the board. Study each to be sure there is no disconnect or defective part in series with any of these lines. It takes only 1 defective part to cause this SSD to fail to be enumerated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pcie_parts.png
Views:	34
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	3467961

Comment

Originally posted by Gregormc View Post
                    A technician said that it was the board (maybe not true). what about the MacBook SSD adapter? (because is cheap and I have SSD nvme)
                    Well, sometimes people just fob you off when it gets into the too hard basket. I don't take much for gospel these days from other repairers, as with MAC's you need to have a bit more between the ears than your average PC board jockey.

The adaptors need a 2230/2242 sized SSD. Haven't played too much in this area on A1708 so can't recommend what 3rd party drives work best. That said, I have found that cheap 3rd party SSD's don't work well with MAC's, especially those that don't have DRAM cache. Also a factor is how the SSD's go in and out of sleep that can affect your battery life etc. You can get an aftermarket vendor such as OWC to supply adaptor and drive as a bundle if you want it just to work.

Comment

L8630 both low resistances seem fine, AC caps also seems fine

Comment

Originally posted by reformatt View Post

Well, sometimes people just fob you off when it gets into the too hard basket. I don't take much for gospel these days from other repairers, as with MAC's you need to have a bit more between the ears than your average PC board jockey.

The adaptors need a 2230/2242 sized SSD. Haven't played too much in this area on A1708 so can't recommend what 3rd party drives work best. That said, I have found that cheap 3rd party SSD's don't work well with MAC's, especially those that don't have DRAM cache. Also a factor is how the SSD's go in and out of sleep that can affect your battery life etc. You can get an aftermarket vendor such as OWC to supply adaptor and drive as a bundle if you want it just to work.
                        I am not from the US, looking for cheap alternative to know if is the SSD or board

Comment

I often use these adapters, they work just great, a little faster than even a regular SSD, and they cost pennies in a local shop! Use any well-known SSD, less than a brand, such as Crucial or Samsung or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by PITERPENY View Post
                            I often use these adapters, they work just great, a little faster than even a regular SSD, and they cost pennies in a local shop! Use any well-known SSD, less than a brand, such as Crucial or Samsung or something like that.
                            Ordered 1 by aliexpress $1.7 (ship 50 days)

Comment

It seems to me that on the local sales site their cost is a little more expensive (I think 5-7$), but you will get it in two days.

Comment

Working...
                              X