G86-731-A2 choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G86-731-A2 choices

I have an old laptop, Packard Bell Ares GM2 which needs a reball but the nvidia chip on it is old, like 2007 old, G86-703-A2. I suggested the client to upgrade it and found at HKLRF G86-731-A2 2010 at 29$ and 2012 at 33$. They are not that expensive. Possibly both are with white underfill, whatever that means. Now, my problem is that in an old thread somewhere I've read that the 2012 might need some bios tweek or upgrade. That thread is lost on me and would like some clarification before I make the order. Is it safe with 2012 or should I go 2010 instead.

Re: G86-731-A2 choices

If you're buying a new chip, get a 2010 d/c one.

2012 are fake, relabeled 2007. Meaning they will die. I have a couple G86-703-A2 "resurrected" left, but they're gonna need undervolting to be kept alive. If you think you can do it, i can mail you one.

Either way, they run best with 730-A2 or 731-A2. I gifted one to a friend of mine which i fixed with a 730-A2, chip pulled from a Sony Vaio with irreparable water damage. Going strong since February, and i dropped by his place and undervolted it to 0.97v last month. Oughta work fine at least 1 more year.
    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 08-12-2014, 04:48 PM.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Allright, I will keep the 2010 one. I could try and undervolt some motherboards I have here(a dv9000 too) but I going to need a map too.
      Im struggling to learn how to read schematics and diagnose motherboards. Any idea where to begin properly?

Comment

some sellers told me not all newest chip are fake. here is a chip i have bought.

it looks completely different on color and all between the 2

hope this help.
        edit: according to that post:
        http://uken.tv/index.php?option=com_...mid=75&lang=en

if edge are smooth and nvidia logo is the same then they are fake. in mine edge are well made and also all corners are good.

looking for other opinion to spot fake vs original
        Attached Files
        Last edited by dellxps15; 08-13-2014, 04:52 AM.

Comment

I still find it hard to believe that nvidia would still be making those just for repair shops.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

me too, but around bga (do many models)there is still big profit..... and nvidia sell of each chip package of 350-500 at once... so for 5-7€ each chip is still some money considering all the bga models out there. plus remake some chip is that hard for company.

on some ebay seller i see also the nvidia sticker with all detail available.

Comment

Working...
            X