Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell XPS l702x Chip identification (Quanta GM 7 )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell XPS l702x Chip identification (Quanta GM 7 )

Hi, i have recently been given a laptop to repair that i thought was suffering with a GPU failure, however upon inspection i found two chips that appear to have burnt out? there is nothing working on the laptop but power can be traced to the charging of the battery. I have taken photos of the damaged chips and it does look to me as if someone has opened up this laptop prior to me and possibly burnt at least one of the chips with a soldering iron!! Can anyone give an insight as to what they are and how they could naturally get damaged like this and if its safe to replace them if possible.

Regards Drongo
    Attached Files

Re: Dell XPS l702x Chip identification (Quanta GM 7 )

Last picture is too poor to see anything first two looks like the chip has just burnt out.
    if the plastic was over it you might be able to tell if the scorch marks are on the top of the film or the bottom. I would say it is not easy to replace without hot air station and even then may not be easy. Can you clean any of the burn off to see what part id was on it or
    do you know?
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

i had a l502x mainboard with no power. after some inspection the 3.3v and 5volt regulator burned and damaged also mainboard layers, so now all mainboard is in short and impossible to repair. try to remove these 2 chip and check if those pins are ok or shorted before try to repair it.both are burn as in the ite chip one pin is visible burn and the other has also visible burn.

http://kythuatphancung.vn/download/d...chematics.html
      it's for 701x but should be very similar to your mainboard.

put some flux on pins and then remove both chip with hot air (put some alluminium around them co cover other component), after that clean all with some ipa. then check pins track if are ok or damaged and if damaged check if shorted.

Comment

Thank you for your replies, i will try my best to get better pictures. The largest chip has on it and according to a board schematic is labeled as KBC ITE8502 the other I haven't a clue. I will take a closer look at the melt on the plastic screening. The smallest chip is close to the cmos battery. I will post better pictures soon. Thanks again.

Comment

Hi, i have just taken a couple more pictures of the smallest of the damaged chips and an overall picture of the motherboard to give a better indication as to its position on the board. After the advice i was given last time i have had a closer look at the largest of the two chips and can now say the burn came from underneath the plastic. Thank you for your comments and i hope someone could identify the small chip for me.

Thanks in advance
          Attached Files

Comment

it is same chip as it burn in my l502x. it is responsible for 3.3 and 5 volt. my burn was in vin pin. look in the schematics. remove it and clean wigh isopropilic alchool and look if pcb is ok. i suspect some track is gone and u need to make them again.

Comment

Thank you for your help and information, could you give me a simple (For Me) identification of the two chips i require to replace to carry out repair please, its my first time repairing at this level. I am no good with schematics! The motherboard is a Quanta GM 7 i believe.

Thanks

Comment

near the chip is written pu7. grab the schematics and look for pu7 in it

page 47 on the 1mb schematic. pu7 chip TPS51427A 3.3 and 5v regulator.

Comment

Thank you for your kindness in helping me.

Kind regards

Comment

Working...
                  X