LENOVO T480 ERROR POST " bottom cover tamper detection error "

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LENOVO T480 ERROR POST " bottom cover tamper detection error "

Hello friends, could someone help, I have this thinkpad with that message when starting, I already disabled it from the bios but the message continues, I also cleaned the region for me but the problem is not fixed, I also measured the switch cover but it is working... does anyone have Any idea what it could be? I attached my dump in case anyone can help.
    Attached Files

Re: SOLVED LENOVO T480 ERROR POST " bottom cover tamper detection error "

Originally posted by aldopc View Post
    hello friends, could someone help, i have this thinkpad with that message when starting, i already disabled it from the bios but the message continues, i also cleaned the region for me but the problem is not fixed, i also measured the switch cover but it is working... Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I attached my dump in case anyone can help.
    solved

Comment

solved
      Would you like to share how you solved it, it could help someone else.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
      Become a Badcaps supporter
      >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
      Thanks to all supporters.​
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesko356 View Post
        Would you like to share how you solved it, it could help someone else.

Yes, of course, the problem was on the motherboard, it didn't have the cover switch, someone detached it, I made a bridge and it was perfect.
        Attached Files

Comment

Yes, of course, the problem was on the motherboard, it didn't have the cover switch, someone detached it, I made a bridge and it was perfect.
          Well done, this way the whole thread is a way more helpful and informative, and may be used by someone else with similar issue to solve the matter. Thank you.

Last edited by Vesko356; 04-20-2023, 04:41 PM.
          Thanks to all supporters.​
          Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

I have a Lenovo T470 that developed this issue after I had removed my bottom cover for a routine inspection. I can't get in my BIOS to disable the feature. I then out of frusteation, intentionally broke off that switch thinking it was bad. I did the bridge horizontally as shown in the photos, but my issue is still the same. Is there something I'm missing?

My T470 shows the message at POST about the cover being removed, allows me to press the ESC key, but does nothing else beside showing me a blank screen (you know the backlight is still ON). I can't access the BIOS or interact with the unit otherwise. Where is the BIOS chip on these units exactly? What tool would I need to READ and WRITE a stock BIOS to this where the feature might not be enabled?

Comment

Originally posted by Nokia3650 View Post
              I have a Lenovo T470 that developed this issue after I had removed my bottom cover for a routine inspection. I can't get in my BIOS to disable the feature. I then out of frusteation, intentionally broke off that switch thinking it was bad. I did the bridge horizontally as shown in the photos, but my issue is still the same. Is there something I'm missing?

My T470 shows the message at POST about the cover being removed, allows me to press the ESC key, but does nothing else beside showing me a blank screen (you know the backlight is still ON). I can't access the BIOS or interact with the unit otherwise. Where is the BIOS chip on these units exactly? What tool would I need to READ and WRITE a stock BIOS to this where the feature might not be enabled?
              read..https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubl...before-posting
              post the content of the bios chip, you need an SPI programmer, here's a video as an example...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWWigscuQDY
              Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests all donations are welcome, click:

>>>>> https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=donate1 <<<<<

Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.

Comment

I have an SPI programmer and clip. I just need to know where the BIOS chip is for the T470, and get a stock BIOS file for it so I can avoid the error message altogether.

Comment

I have an SPI programmer and clip. I just need to know where the BIOS chip is for the T470, and get a stock BIOS file for it so I can avoid the error message altogether.
                  You look for the chip with the number 128 on the back, for example: W25Q128xxx

Thanks to all supporters.
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Comment

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T470 with a now damaged tamper protection switch. I can't access the system BIOS to disable the error message as the unit hangs at the error (and then displays a perfectly blank screen when I press the ESC key).

What I want is a clean BIOS where I don't have that error message by disabling that check. I've attached the BIOS BIN files as extracted using two different tools (which give two different looking BIN files).
                    The serial number for the notebook PC is: PF13SDZP
                    The BIOS chip part number is: 25L12873F That's what I used for both of the programmers to READ the BIOS via a SOIC-8 clip, but two different looking BIN files were produced.

I really want to get back to using the Lenovo T470 once again, as it has been a good PC despite its age.

Can someone please assist in either providing a clean BIOS file or edit the ones I post here to ignore the check for the bottom cover being removed?
                    Attached Files

Comment

• peste
                      peste commented
                      Editing a comment
                      merged post..

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T470 with a now damaged tamper protection switch. I can't access the system BIOS to disable the error message as the unit hangs at the error (and then displays a perfectly blank screen when I press the ESC key).

What I want is a clean BIOS where I don't have that error message by disabling that check. I've attached the BIOS BIN files as extracted using two different tools (which give two different looking BIN files).
                    The serial number for the notebook PC is: PF13SDZP
                    The BIOS chip part number is: 25L12873F That's what I used for both of the programmers to READ the BIOS via a SOIC-8 clip, but two different looking BIN files were produced.

I really want to get back to using the Lenovo T470 once again, as it has been a good PC despite its age.

Can someone please assist in either providing a clean BIOS file or edit the ones I post here to ignore the check for the bottom cover being removed?
                    I use this BIOS and worked on many T470 without any errors :
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Steff View Post

I use this BIOS and worked on many T470 without any errors :
                      Thank you for sharing this file. I flashed it and the end result was that the notebook PC booted with the following messages then got stuck after the mandatory option of pressing the "F1" to access the system BIOS to update the settings or reset to factory defaults:

0271: Check Date and Time settings.
                      0183: Bad CRC of Security Settings in EFI variable.
                      Press F1 to enter setup.

Pressing F1 results in just a blank screen. I had left the RTC battery and the main battery disconnected during the flashing process as I felt it would have hindered the process. I recalled that I had soldered jumper/bridge in the same manner that the OP did, but it hadn't worked for me. I removed that soldered bridge, and rebooted the PC. The TAMPER COVER PROTECTION error message then appeared.

My T470 is the 20HD model then file you gave me says 20JN. I'm trying to find the electrical differences between the two units

Comment

I think you have some problems with communication between EC and BIOS.
                        The laptop started ok, the bios is good.
                        I wonder if this laptop had a bios password and the patching wasn't finished...
                        So, I suggest to patch my bios file with lenovo autopatcher, write it to bios chip, boot and follow the instructions then write back the file I have sent to you.
                        This must work.

I never check the exact model of T470...20HD or 20JN...before writing this bios and worked every time.
                        After successfully started the laptop always updated the bios to the latest version based on the real service tag.

Good Luck!

Comment

Hi, can i do read EC Chip using ch341a programmer using same method that use for rt809h programmer?

Comment

Working...
                          X