Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I flash bios to an Alienware M16 R1 AMD edition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got impatient and tried to flash bios back down to 1.2.2. I ended up bricking the machine. I restored the previous bios file I had backed up earlier and that un-bricked it. Whatever I did to make the bios image file was not correct. That or I went back too many versions at a time, though I don't think that would be a problem.

Comment

Well, I guess the positive is you have seemed to confirm that chip is in fact the bios chip.

I'm glad you were able to bring it back after it was bricked. I do wonder though if the straight up .rcv file from the Dell website would successfully flash to the chip? Maybe not necessarily 1.2.2 to begin with, but work backwards slowly?

Just a thought.

Comment

The raw .rcv file is is 33.96MBytes, too big for the chip to hold. The file you flash needs to be 32MBytes exactly. I don't think the version I tried to flash was the issue. It could be an issue with the EC chip, but I don't think that is the case since I could not find an EC image in the bios file. I think the M16 might not have an EC chip.

I think the problem is something to do with one of the other images to flash. A "CTRL-F" for "IFLASH" through the the bios file reveals that there are more images than the bios image.

There is a 'DRV' drive image, an 'INI' image, and two bios certificates ('BIOSCER' and 'BIOSCR2'). There is a second 'DRV' image in the .exe version.

I am thinking maybe since I did not flash the bios certificate that the laptop would not boot without it. Maybe the bios certificate is checked somehow to ensure the bios was not tampered with. The first Bios certificate 'BIOSCER' is only 256 bytes. The second one is like 15Kbytes. Was one of those 5 chips you read on the motherboard only 256 Bytes?

The 'DRV' image is not some clean multiple of 2, but like 1.879 MBytes. The 'INI' image is like 54.84 KBytes.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe I did not copy over the UUID and other important information stored in bios, so that is why the system refused to boot.

About 300,000 bytes only differ from the BIOS I read from my chip and restored, and the bios image I pulled from the .rcv file and flashed to my laptop, which would not boot. Whatever is on those 300,000 bytes is why the flash failed. In my file I restored, whenever the bytes differed, in the bios image I got from Dell they were all "FF FF FF" but my version had information in it. So the image I made from Dell is missing some information, and that missing info causes the boot to fail.

Sorry for the massive post, just dumping all the info I can so if someone with more knowledge comes along they can help.

Comment

I do not recall from memory what the chip sizes were, but from what i posted in this thread, it looks like they were 2048kb, 1024kb, and 128kb. No 256 bytes to speak of.

From what you said, it almost makes me wonder if there are multiple chips that get flashed (using your logic of different images included) when the bios is flashed, and not just the one chip?

Comment

Originally posted by Keith1341 View Post
            I do not recall from memory what the chip sizes were, but from what i posted in this thread, it looks like they were 2048kb, 1024kb, and 128kb. No 256 bytes to speak of.

From what you said, it almost makes me wonder if there are multiple chips that get flashed (using your logic of different images included) when the bios is flashed, and not just the one chip?
            piernov (or someone else w/ experience) may know but I haven't seen him in a while.

Comment

My laptop is m18 r1 AMD. I also had my BIOS updated forcefully due to Windows automatic updates. From version 1.7.0 to version 1.12.0

I also want to use Smokeless_UMAF. However, I found out that this is only available in BIOS 1.2.2 and older.
              I purchased a BIOS on eBay to downgrade the BIOS, but failed to downgrade to any version. red 2 blue 2 led.
              The only thing that works is my original 1.12.0 version and the completely clean 1.12.0 version of BIOS without the service tag number entered.

If anyone can help me by using this BIOS .bin file to change it to a downgraded BIOS file, please help me.
              There are two versions of my bios: 1.12.0 (the bios I used or the clean bios)
              I would like to downgrade this to the older BIOS version 1.2.2 or lower. I need your help.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Arc717 View Post
                The raw .rcv file is is 33.96MBytes, too big for the chip to hold. The file you flash needs to be 32MBytes exactly. I don't think the version I tried to flash was the issue. It could be an issue with the EC chip, but I don't think that is the case since I could not find an EC image in the bios file. I think the M16 might not have an EC chip.

I think the problem is something to do with one of the other images to flash. A "CTRL-F" for "IFLASH" through the the bios file reveals that there are more images than the bios image.

There is a 'DRV' drive image, an 'INI' image, and two bios certificates ('BIOSCER' and 'BIOSCR2'). There is a second 'DRV' image in the .exe version.

I am thinking maybe since I did not flash the bios certificate that the laptop would not boot without it. Maybe the bios certificate is checked somehow to ensure the bios was not tampered with. The first Bios certificate 'BIOSCER' is only 256 bytes. The second one is like 15Kbytes. Was one of those 5 chips you read on the motherboard only 256 Bytes?

The 'DRV' image is not some clean multiple of 2, but like 1.879 MBytes. The 'INI' image is like 54.84 KBytes.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe I did not copy over the UUID and other important information stored in bios, so that is why the system refused to boot.

About 300,000 bytes only differ from the BIOS I read from my chip and restored, and the bios image I pulled from the .rcv file and flashed to my laptop, which would not boot. Whatever is on those 300,000 bytes is why the flash failed. In my file I restored, whenever the bytes differed, in the bios image I got from Dell they were all "FF FF FF" but my version had information in it. So the image I made from Dell is missing some information, and that missing info causes the boot to fail.

Sorry for the massive post, just dumping all the info I can so if someone with more knowledge comes along they can help.
                1. Download bios update .exe from Dell site
                2. Download BiosUtilities by platomav from github. Install python 3.10 or higher.
                3. put bios update .exe in the same directory with BiosUtilities and don't leave spaces or dots in name. Ex: Alienware_m16_R1_m18_R1_01.01.01_64.exe rename it as Alienware_m16_R1_m18_R1_01_01_01_64.exe
                4. use cmd or terminal to extract bios: Insyde_IFD_Extract.py Alienware_m16_R1_m18_R1_01.01.01_64.exe You'll get a folder Alienware_m16_R1_m18_R1_01.01.01_64.exe_ectracted.
                5 Inside the folder you'll have bios extracted, exact size, see pics.
                Attached Files
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                https://www.badcaps.net/donate/
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hello,

My BIOS firmware was updated to the latest version due to Windows automatic update.
                  Unfortunately, newer bios have many options disabled. Options for CPU settings can only be adjusted and changed in older BIOS.
                  I tried using USB downgrade through bios recovery option, but Dell blocked it.

After checking Reddit, I saw a post saying that downgrading is possible with a program using the BIOS chip.
                  My current BIOS version is 1.12.0, and only BIOS versions lower than 1.2.2 allow me to change the CPU settings I want.
                  First, I received a message from the eBay seller that a downgrade was possible, so I purchased it. I received the BIOS file with the downgrade saved.

I used as the CH314A + 1.8V adapter// NeoProgrammer V2.2.0.10 programming utility.
                  Unfortunately, after programming the BIOS, the power turns on, but BIOS entry fails. The LED code lights up red 2 and blue 2.
                  1.2.2 I tried two additional BIOSes older than the old version, but the results were the same.

When I reprogram it with my original 1.12.0 BIOS that I backed up, it works normally.
                  When all else failed, the eBay seller gave me a completely clean BIOS version of 1.12.0 that displayed a screen for entering the service tag when booting. If I program it it works fine.
                  The eBay seller said he couldn't figure out the reason and gave up because he couldn't find any other way. Only the BIOS version 1.12.0, which is the same version as mine, works, and all older versions do not work.

Please refer to the attached file. Here I have attached my original BIOS, clean BIOS, and the old BIOS that I need for downgrading.

I am looking for a great expert who can help me by creating a bios that can be downgraded.

What method can I use to solve this? Please help me.

Attached Files

Comment

• SMDFlea
                    SMDFlea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thread merged,don`t start another new thread please.............

Originally posted by volinakis View Post

2. Download BiosUtilities by platomav from github. Install python 3.10 or higher.
                  3. put bios update .exe in the same directory with BiosUtilities and don't leave spaces or dots in name. Ex: Alienware_m16_R1_m18_R1_01.01.01_64.exe rename it as Alienware_m16_R1_m18_R1_01_01_01_64.exe
                  4. use cmd or terminal to extract bios: Insyde_IFD_Extract.py Alienware_m16_R1_m18_R1_01.01.01_64.exe You'll get a folder Alienware_m16_R1_m18_R1_01.01.01_64.exe_ectracted.
                  I've tried to run BiosUtilities by platomav before. Someone else posted it on this forum a while ago. It just says "Done!" then closes without actually creating a bios image or giving an error. I managed to get it to work w/ your instructions.

The bios I extracted from Dell's .exe for 1.13.1 using a hex editor is the same as the one that is created using BiosUtilities, however, the bios for 1.2.2 is not. The bits are shifted 5 to the left in the one made by BiosUtilities vs the one I extracted and flashed with a hex editor. Meaning I missed the first 5 bits and last 5 bits of the bios file for 1.2.2. I remade it in hex editor and checked the files and they are idenitical now. I will just use BiosUtilities going forward though, much simpler.

JJong seems to be having trouble flashing older bioses. Is it possible there is a check in the bios for the service tag not to be blank? A check in the bios for the bios certificate files? Or is it possible that more than one chip is being flashed at the same time? I know the M16 has an EC controller but the M16 likely does not.

Comment

I've tried to run BiosUtilities by platomav before. Someone else posted it on this forum a while ago. It just says "Done!" then closes without actually creating a bios image or giving an error. I managed to get it to work w/ your instructions.

The bios I extracted from Dell's .exe for 1.13.1 using a hex editor is the same as the one that is created using BiosUtilities, however, the bios for 1.2.2 is not. The bits are shifted 5 to the left in the one made by BiosUtilities vs the one I extracted and flashed with a hex editor. Meaning I missed the first 5 bits and last 5 bits of the bios file for 1.2.2. I remade it in hex editor and checked the files and they are idenitical now. I will just use BiosUtilities going forward though, much simpler.

JJong seems to be having trouble flashing older bioses. Is it possible there is a check in the bios for the service tag not to be blank? A check in the bios for the bios certificate files? Or is it possible that more than one chip is being flashed at the same time? I know the M16 has an EC controller but the M16 likely does not.
                    I am a beginner who only knows how to program using ROMWriter (CH314a).
                    @volinakis I've already been helped by volinakis, but I've failed.
                    I received a bios file with the service tag number and DMI and win key from him, but it also failed.

The advice I received from the eBay seller was "Maybe the problem is from the ec rom version not matched"
                    If it is an EC ROM problem, how can this be resolved?

Comment

I tried to re-read my bios to make a backup before writing, and everything came out to all zeros. I may have worn down the pins on my bios chip too much to rewrite it... I cannot test out that new bios version. JJong for the M18 specifically you have an EC chip that is flashed alongside the bios. However, the M18 only has one version for the firmware called "Axiom_Infinity_FW13_1zone_FW_0_2_4_webpost_20231205.exe". I think this is beyond me. I figured all I'd have to do was hook up a chip and be done in 5 minutes.

Edit: wait the clip unplugged itself. I will try again.

Comment

Tried to reflash bios back to 1.0.1 using a bios image I made with the extractor tool. What I write to the bios chip and what is actually written to the bios chip are two different files. The file called "read_file_11" is what I read after I flash the "BIOS-UEFI" file. Tried to boot the laptop on 1.0.1 and got the same problem. Rainbow keyboard wave, max fans, black screen, 2 red 2 blue flashes indicating bios problem.

I tried flashing a bios image of the version my bios is currently on (1.13.1) from Dell's site, and it did not work, still does not boot.

Regardless of bios version, this will not boot with a raw bios file from Dell. It probably needs information in the bios file to be entered properly to run: motherboard UUID, service tag, windows key, etc.

I attached the bios file I wrote "BIOS-UEFI [0x00E1BF1E-0x02E1BF1E].zip" and what actually ended up on the chip "read_file_11.zip". For some reason they are different.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I'm a beginner with no technical skills, so I don't know much, but first, please check the attached file I have.
                          This is version 1.0.1, which is the version you tried. This is the BIOS file I purchased from an eBay seller. Compare this to the bios you just extracted and created.
                          And the second 1.12.0 clean file is also a file received from an eBay seller. This is a version that requires entering the service tag number when booting the BIOS for the first time. I have the original 1.12.0 BIOS and the attached clean version that requires entering the service tag number when booting, both of which work, but the rest all fail.

I know that the service tag number and Windows key are not saved in the clean version.
                          I don't know what the bios save status of the rest of the motherboard UUID and etc is, and I think someone with a lot of expertise may be able to find a way by comparing and checking this.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JJong View Post
                            I'm a beginner with no technical skills, so I don't know much, but first, please check the attached file I have.
                            This is version 1.0.1, which is the version you tried. This is the BIOS file I purchased from an eBay seller. Compare this to the bios you just extracted and created.
                            And the second 1.12.0 clean file is also a file received from an eBay seller. This is a version that requires entering the service tag number when booting the BIOS for the first time. I have the original 1.12.0 BIOS and the attached clean version that requires entering the service tag number when booting, both of which work, but the rest all fail.

I know that the service tag number and Windows key are not saved in the clean version.
                            I don't know what the bios save status of the rest of the motherboard UUID and etc is, and I think someone with a lot of expertise may be able to find a way by comparing and checking this.
                            Both of those files you uploaded are identical to the bios files created by using the extractor tool. Hope you did not pay much for them.

Comment

Would it make any sense to extract both the 1.13.1 bios, and the 1.2.2 bios using this method, and then "replace" the BIOS-UEFI file in the 1.13.1 extraction with the 1.2.2 BIOS-UEFI file? Then if possible, repackage it and try to flash it?

Comment

Would it make any sense to extract both the 1.13.1 bios, and the 1.2.2 bios using this method, and then "replace" the BIOS-UEFI file in the 1.13.1 extraction with the 1.2.2 BIOS-UEFI file? Then if possible, repackage it and try to flash it?
                                I think it's a good idea. Give it a try. If you attach the repackaged BIOS , I will try it.

Comment

nope, you have to modify platform.ini to skip checking bios version.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

nope, you have to modify platform.ini to skip checking bios version.
                                    Is that something you are capable of doing and willing to do?

Comment

Is that something you are capable of doing and willing to do?
                                      you can try yourself, use 7zip to create SFX executable.

Comment

you can try yourself, use 7zip to create SFX executable.
                                        I made an SFX executable. It just created a new folder with the original .exe in it. When I unzip the .exe, I do not see a platform.ini file.

However, searching for "platform" in the hexdump shows like 50 instances. I found two flags by searching for "version check" and "platform" that I flipped from 1s/2s to 0s to not perform checks. I read in the hexdump it does a version check by BIOS version as well as by application.

This did not help though I still get the same error message when trying to flash the bios to a lower version. Could you give instructions that are a bit more specific? I don't dig into binary files regularly.

What do flag do I need to flip in the bios to disable the version check and proceed with the downgrade?

Comment

Working...
                                        X