Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What maybe causing this Chopper to short ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• budm
    replied
    Re: What maybe causing this Chopper to short ?

One thing can be that the U3845 (as shown in page 9) DR+ has the output stuck HI instead of turning those two Optos on and off.

Leave a comment:

• sam_sam_sam
    replied

That very good manual most of them are not very good

Leave a comment:

• SM-Piyes90
    replied

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
    perhaps pictures of the board would help , take it you have ~220vac mains.
    Perhaps use the dim lamp trick - a 75watt filament bulb in line wth the + mains
    saves blowing up components
    Hi thanks for the comment , ireally don't know about the light bulb trick , but i got this in mind

You can take a look at the PDF service manual , it contains schematic and picture of the PCB .

Leave a comment:

• selldoor
    replied

perhaps pictures of the board would help , take it you have ~220vac mains.
    Perhaps use the dim lamp trick - a 75watt filament bulb in line wth the + mains
    saves blowing up components

Leave a comment:

• SM-Piyes90
    started a topic What maybe causing this Chopper to short ?

What maybe causing this Chopper to short ?

Hello everyone here .

Am right now trying to repair a switching style power supply , this one converts low input current to pretty much 160 amps to be mainly used as a MMA welder .

Anyways i checked it step by step , started with the primary side , the primary caps got 300 Vdc on them , now arriving to the chopper circuit witch consists of 2 power IGBTs , that are making the input signal chopped at a very high frequency with the command of a pulse width modulation chip " UC3842 " .

So i checked the power transistors with a continuity tester , and they are both shorted , also found 2 shorted A3120 optoisolators , four 18 v zeners .

I then changed them all with new parts , in the hope to save this unit but again all the parts that i' ve replaced have again fried .

I guess something else is causing them to burn , i hope i get some ideas from people who encountered similar issue .

Here is a Service manual of the SMPS welder :
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SM-Piyes90; 02-25-2014, 08:56 AM.
Working...
X