Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LG 42LN540V LED Backlight Flickering After Replacement When Connecting The Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 42LN540V LED Backlight Flickering After Replacement When Connecting The Screen

This TV has been on the wall in our reception area for around 10 years and the other day the backlight failed. You could see a feint picture so we knew the screen was OK. I took the TV apart to get to the failed backlight and inject voltage in to each half of the LED strips to identify which ones had failed and 4 needed replacing. I ordered a set off of Amazon and they arrived the next day.

On fitting the new LED strips I plugged in the TV was blinded by the light!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20241022_130917096_iOSa.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	874.7 KB
ID:	3490560

It was only when I partially put it all back together (including the screen) that I connected it via HDMI to a laptop and on the left hand side it was pulsating a bit. As you can see from the above photo they are all lit and there was no pulsatiing going on.

https://youtube.com/shorts/LLL_C6iLZ...YMS3lSBH_BAHrH

As you can see from this video, it's pulsating. Again if I disconnect the screen there is no pulsating going - any ideas what might be causing this and what I can check?

test it with out HDMI source... just the TV on and call the menu setting. check if there pulsing

Comment

Without HDMI plugged in I get a spinning LG logo that doesnt quite go over to the left hand side where the pulsating occurs but I can't see any pulsating.

[EDIT]

I've just turned it on and got a menu up and yes I can see pulsating on the left hand side when nothing is connected to HDMI - I've also just tested it on the other HDMI port on the back rather than the side and sadly the pulsating is still there.

Comment

test with other source such USB with jpg photo or movie

Comment

Originally posted by RetroComputingGrotto View Post
          Without HDMI plugged in I get a spinning LG logo that doesnt quite go over to the left hand side where the pulsating occurs but I can't see any pulsating.

[EDIT]

I've just turned it on and got a menu up and yes I can see pulsating on the left hand side when nothing is connected to HDMI - I've also just tested it on the other HDMI port on the back rather than the side and sadly the pulsating is still there.
          okay, what happen if you reduce the BL level under the half ? if they are stable then yours replacement led fault

Comment

Just found a USB memory stick and put a photo on it and it's still doing it but it's not quite as obvious:

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post

okay, what happen if you reduce the BL level under the half ? if they are stable then yours replacement led fault
              Reception have lost the remote control so changing any levels is awkward with the limited buttons on the rear of the TV!

I haven't replaced all the LED strips, just 2 of them so I might remove all of the other original LG ones so they are all the same - do you think that might help?

Comment

Originally posted by RetroComputingGrotto View Post

Reception have lost the remote control so changing any levels is awkward with the limited buttons on the rear of the TV!

I haven't replaced all the LED strips, just 2 of them so I might remove all of the other original LG ones so they are all the same - do you think that might help?
                I've replaced all the remaining original LG LED strips with the ones I have and it's still doing it.

I have perservered with the buttons on the back of the TV and after lots of pressing the wrong buttons I managed to navigate the menu to the BL setting and even on 0 you could see it flickering.

What I shall have to do is put all the working original ones back on the TV and then the 2 faulty strips I'll have to try bodging a repair by scratching off the tracks and bypassing the faulty LEDs and see if there are any dark spots on the TV - it is perfectly possible that its been doing this fault before the backlight failed but no one notived as it's just used in Reception for a rolling powerpoint type of display saying welcome and where to go in a fire if you're a visitor etc.

Wish me luck!

Comment

show the old and the new strips led label... also show yours psu bl circuit from the downside.. you will see many sync SMT R

Comment

Did you only replace some strips? 2 strips look different color. I did read everything, but originally did you not replace them all with new ones and left old ones in?

I can see more closely you did. Never just change out a couple strips if you have all new ones. You aren't going to get more life out of it that way :/
                    Last edited by EazyBone; Yesterday, 12:10 PM.

Comment

I guess you cannot inspect much more, you need an osciloscope to grab the waveform of the pwm dim input of the led driver ic, next you can resolder completely the driver ic

Comment

Originally posted by EazyBone View Post
                        Did you only replace some strips? 2 strips look different color. I did read everything, but originally did you not replace them all with new ones and left old ones in?

I can see more closely you did. Never just change out a couple strips if you have all new ones. You aren't going to get more life out of it that way :/
                        The strips I got were not LG branded just some generic brand that happened to be in stock on Amazon for next day delivery - my thinking was that LG branded ones already in the TV would be better so kept the working ones in. I've since put all the ones I got from Amazon in the TV and it still pulsates when I connect the screen. No idea if it's been doing this previous to the LEDs failing as it's used for digital signage and they may not have noticed.

Comment

Amazon+next day delivery+not original parts=bad choice.. you don't know which led specs have the original ones so..

PS: i don't know this injury of buying in 1 day.. modern times
                          Last edited by Davi.p; Today, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X