Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KDL-60EX500 Backlight Error / 6 Blinks

Good Sunday morning everyone.

I have the TV listed above in hand which was given to me for free after a lightning strike took it out along with several other items in a friends house. Upon plugging it in and pressing the power button, the startup tone plays followed by an immediate shutdown with the 6 blink error. I downloaded the service manual and 6 blinks = backlight issue. This seems logical since the backlights don't even flash when the TV attempts to power up.

Next step, removed the back and checked voltages. Main board is sending the POW-ON and BL-ON signals. Flashlight test shows the Sony Logo when It tries to start. Power Supply has 12V present but no 24V.

Removed supply from TV to bench test. Fed 3V from the standby pin into POW-ON and BL-ON (I had previously confirmed the main board was sending these signals so I assumed I would get the same result). Confirmed that the 24V rail does not come up even for a second. 12V rail is steady at 12.14V actual output. Main filter cap is steady at 392V when POW-ON is applied and is 165V without POW-ON.

I've attached pictures of just the power supply since I already have the problem narrowed down. I'm quite efficient at component level repair but haven't worked on this particular board. Replacements are scarce. I do see one person on Ebay offering repair service for $65 but I'd prefer to do it myself if possible. As always, any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron
    Attached Files

Re: Sony KDL-60EX500 Backlight Error / 6 Blinks

I think the 24V supply is a single supply being supplied via diode RC601,2,3 & 4 rectifying the output of transformer T301. T301 looks to be driven by Q301, Q302 again they are being switched by the IC behind the heatsink, number unknown.
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

I will take a look at those components and report back.

Comment

I've taken a picture of the IC and voltage measurements on Q301 and Q302. Nothing appears to be shorted.
        Attached Files

Comment

What voltage do you have between pin 2 (VCC) and Pin 4 (GND) on the SSC9513

Comment

16V with the power supply turned on. 0V with it off.

Comment

I just threw out a few defective Sanken supplies out of some other Sony's (different board numbers). I'm going to kick myself if I need one of those chips.

Comment

The 16V looks as though it's probably OK. At least its there to operate the chip.
                I can't find any real useful data on this chip other than the circuit attached
                Attached Files

Comment

Yeah. I searched around as well and came up empty on the datasheet. Wonder if it's worth ordering one and giving it a shot. They are available for $6-$7. Figure there's probably other parts bad too but who knows. Again, I could send it off for repair but hate to go that route if I can fix it on the cheap.

Comment

If you have checked the diode and mosfets around it and they appear to be OK then replacing it would at least rule that chip out.

Comment

Yeah, good point. I'll check out a few more things then get one on order. Will certainly post back with the outcome. The TV is absolutely worth the repair even if it costs $100 or more. It's flawless cosmetically and I know for a fact that it functioned before the lightning strike.

Comment

Posting back results is always useful if someone else has the same problem.

Comment

Just to update on this but after weighing my options and the fact that replacement power supplies for this are basically non-existent, I decided to send off the board to PTS Board Repair for $58 including return shipping. It appears that the controller chip was not replaced but a handful of other components around it were. The TV is now fully functional and I've already sold it. Given the fact that it was free to begin with that was a heck of a deal.

Thanks dick_barton for the advice on it regardless.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Happy to see it up and running again. Thanks for the update,

Comment

Working...
                            X